Painting Feathered Wings...um...how?

Sersi

So I want to start painting my Slaaneshi army soon, but I'm at a loss as to how I should paint the 36 pairs of wings in the army. I want to paint black or a very dark grey. My daemons are angelic but....evil after all. Anyone got a link, tutorial or a good method for painting wings?

Here's the model by the way:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/6/22/114877_sm-.JPG

Thanks!

Thats a very nice model, whered you get it?

Anyways, for black wings Id undercoat white, and then drybrush black over the whole thing- giving you the glistening effect that youll find in natural bird feathers in the recesses.

An alternate method would be to paint them a dark blue or purple first and then drybrush with black. If you look at a crow or raven feathers you will notice that they are so black that they sometimes have a slightly blue sheen to them.

Definitely drybrushing... on a textured surface you can really get all the details through with drybrushing.

It is also reasonably fast, and you can do multiple drybrushes with progressively lighter shades (and lighter brushing) for some layering. Might want to ink/wash lightly afterwards to unify.

Prime them black, then use dark grey to white for the drybrush and you can keep em as evil looking as you want. Reversing the scheme as posted above (prime white, drybrush black) can give a different look, but may end up being lighter than you want.

Thats a very nice model, whered you get it?

Anyways, for black wings Id undercoat white, and then drybrush black over the whole thing- giving you the glistening effect that youll find in natural bird feathers in the recesses.

I sculpted it! :)

Hey thanks for the ideas guys, I got extra wings so I got some testers to practice on.

I would go for painting stripes of black + green, black + purple, black with blue, then wash with chaos black to shade teh recesses, and then drybrush lightly with the basal green/purple/blue colours, as then you get that irridescent hseen. Varnish the wings using satin finish to enhance the effect.

Archived