Help on gold painting technique

Definatly. I wonder why I haven't thought of this earlier myself. It looks a lot better than just painting with the regular GW gold colours since Mithril Silver gives better cover than they do.

I have yet to paint up my Sanguinary Guard but it looks great if done on gold details on other models.

A few Sepia-washes over the silver looks real dandy.

I do Tin Bitz- Shining Gold- Sepia- Devlin and it comes out looking like:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/DinGareth/DSCN0612.jpg

It's good for a darker, grittier tone, which I feel is fitting for the 41st millennium. If you do the Mithril way though, do a was of Devlin for sure, it helps make it much more gold than dirty silver.

Dingareth, how do you paint the wings?

Ugh, it's the most annoying part for sure. It's Astronomicon Grey, with a wash of Asurmen Blue, highlighted with Astronomicon again, with a final highlight of Skull White, on every single little feather!!! Also, make sure to water everything down 50/50 paint/water, and use more than one coat if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I know this is a necro but I think its not that bad of a necro because this concerns the original post. So I finally tested out the method and I think it came out great. one solid coat of mithril silver and three to four coats of greyphonne sepia was all it took. Well here are two pictures that show the desired result.

gallery_44478_5097_277009.jpg

gallery_44478_5097_1566071.jpg

Ok I know this is a necro but I think its not that bad of a necro because this concerns the original post. So I finally tested out the method and I think it came out great. one solid coat of mithril silver and three to four coats of greyphonne sepia was all it took. Well here are two pictures that show the desired result.

gallery_44478_5097_277009.jpg

gallery_44478_5097_1566071.jpg

Dude... that is awesome.

there is probably only one drawback to this method. If you are like me and is going to paint about 25 people like this it requires a lot of gryphonne sepia. About 1 pot of paint for every 10-12 guys. but I think its an amazing result for a very simple painting technique with all credit going to Frode Olsen.

I just finished painting the armor on my Dante converted model using this technique... It looks awesome and is simple and quick. I tried to get an even coat of Mithril Silver on the mini with no light patches of base coat showing through. I was going to paint my Sanguinor converted mini with black armor but have decided to use this method instead since it's so easy and quick.

0b :)

Archived