Mechanicus and family relations

THis is in regard to a IG commander I am building. I am thinking of giving hime bionic arms created by a family member who is in the Mechcanicus and responsible for looking after Valdors.

Basically, he has a powerful laser that uses a miniture version of the Valdors laser cannon (counts as plasma gun) and energised fists (counts as a single power fist) that was built by a family member.

Would a family member that joined the priesthood of Mars act in this way, or do they totally give up family ties?

They do, but that's not the problem with your story. It's over complex.

If it's going to count as a plasma gun, why not just say they have an integrated plasma gun? Miniaturizing a cannon for this one dude is overly complex and sounds amature.

Furthermore, miniaturizing a huge cannon isn't easy. The member of the AM would have to be pretty high ranking to be able to just haul off and invent something. So they'd also need to be pretty old. So, the commander, if they're a relative, would also have to be old if they're going to be a close relative. If they're a more distant relative the tech adept isn't likely to be sentimental toward them.

Remember that the older an adept is, the more they are modified and the more they value reason over sentiment.

No plasma weaponry tech on the world, thats why I've gone counts as. I can provide background for the commanders home world.

I suppose I could make it a captured weapon, or a gift, but thats far less interesting.

A so its a possibility... A wizened old uncle who gave the General his upgraded bionics as a gift for his successful Promotion.

I can understand not having plasma tech, but if they don't have plasma tech then how did they have the ability to miniaturize a cannon? It's a leap in logic to say they can't do something that the rest of the Imperium has but they can do this extraordinary other thing that the rest of the Imperium can't.

Perhaps to make it more interesting you could say that it's alien tech or that he captured it when on a campaign. The baseline of the story doesn't have to be interesting as long as you fill it with interesting plot devices or characters. Take a story you know and boil it down to one sentence. Take Romeo and Juliet for instance. Two kids who fall in love. Not very interesting on the surface, but once you fill it out it becomes interesting. So instead of forcing an interesting base line, you could say this guy was given these bionic arms during a campaign. Then to make it more interesting you say how he lost his original arms in the climactic battle against a machine construct.

Something like this should get you started along the right path...

The Mechanicus was investigating a planet in search of legendary technology. The commander, who was an Lt at the time was teamed up with a tech priest. (The Lt was there to provide additional firepower should they encounter resistance) They fight their way through a few hairy situations in which the Tech priest ends up owing his life to the brave Lt. They discover clues about the origin of this resistance. They stumble upon the center of enemy resistance, which is this whole big heretical techno-cult then you find out that the magos leading the expedition knew about this all along. They kill the Magos but not before the Lt takes two to the arms. After the battle, the Tech priest takes him back to the AM ship and fits him with uber arms. Their relationship grows as they find out the Magos somehow escaped with some alien tech. The Lt is promoted and handed command of a detachment.

Somewhere in there you make things interesting by saying that the Lt doesn't actually trust technology in the beginning (which makes sense being from a world without plasma tech) but then you show that he trusts it more and more as he works with the Tech priest. Then he's forced to accept technology because it becomes a part of him when he's given bionic arms. You don't actually come out and say that in so many words but you elude to it. Let the reader decipher the meaning of what you're writing.

I could go on and on but I think you get the point. Good stories don't happen in one line, they happen over several pages. Start writing about something mundane and it will come to you.

Thats kind of ignoring digital weapons. If a lasgun an be fitted in a signet ring, then I ant see how that line of thinking holds against a Las weapon of greater strength, that uses the same power source as a power fist is unimaginable. Anyway, plasma weaponry tech is very rare.

I have a back story, that basically has him losing his arms to a Dulag (imagine something part flee part hornet with a venom that acts as a nerve agent that it can spray) in his early career, defending a Mechanicus archaeological dig. These were originally replaced with normal bionics.

His career went well, finally taking command of several regiments in a support role in the region around Armageddon. His bionics by this time have are battle worn and tired. With him are enginseers from a forge where his uncle is an overseer (can't remember the ranks) who, given his achieved rank gifts him with new arms. With his knowledge of Las technology of the Valdors in his care, he fitted them with a powerful las gun with a shared great power source give his fists disruption fields. Though this was a great gift, the powerful las gun is prone power feeding back causing the Commander pain as this is fed through his body, and switch to power the fists has a delay.

The las gun has the stats and drawbacks of a Plasma pistol, and attacks count as a single power fist.

Thats kind of ignoring digital weapons. If a lasgun an be fitted in a signet ring, then I ant see how that line of thinking holds against a Las weapon of greater strength, that uses the same power source as a power fist is unimaginable. Anyway, plasma weaponry tech is very rare.

However, digital weapons are something that are an established part of the universe.

Miniaturizing the Valdor laser cannon isn't but if that's what you really want to do, then fine.

may consider some xeno tech, but I am sure the =][= would have something to say about that. that and there are 3 Str points between it and a Lascannon.

The inquisition should be a plot point, rather than a problem. Maybe your character doesn't know it's xeno tech. Maybe he knows but nobody else does. Maybe he used to work for an inquisitor and his tech is sanctioned. Maybe he wants to turn it in but can't for some reason. Maybe he's being hunted by the inquisition and is somehow staying a step ahead. Maybe he's being used as a pawn by the inquisition to uncover the source of the tech. Seriously, I could go on and on...

Ok, I am working on an alternative. What would be the result in he was 'somehow' attached to something fro the Dark Age of technology? Again assuming that he came attached as some kind of accident, and that how it was attached was unknown.

Thoughts and help on this, please.

Archived