Eating paint chips !

Ok my question is how to recover from your models being chiped with out striping and repainting the model. My cats jumped on the desk and knocked off a bunch of models and chipped them all the way down to the pewter. How would you base or paint the spots showing. I've repainted the spots and matt finished them but with the water base paint it just chips back off. If anyone can help I'd be mighty thankful.

Rongo

Put a foundation paint on it first, or any kind of paint on primer, then repaint it.

Or, as a budy of mine does, a really small amount of super glue lightly wiped onto the area, then painted over once dry.

The biggest problem you will face when painting over the chip is the chip itself. Due to the primer and coat of paint, the 'chip' or the raised areas over the bare metal makes the chip very obvious, even after being painted over. You can deal with this in the following ways:

Leave it or paint it as a real chip

Fill the chipped area (such as the superglue trick mentioned above). You can use GS, putty etc.

Sand the surface down lightly, using fine grit sandpaper (1000 grit is good). This roughens and evens the edges out slightly, but will make the chip larger. Apply primer and paint it over.

Archived