Arming a captain

Mortare

I am in the process of building a new captain for my Angels and I would like to pick communal brains about what to go with for armaments. He will be in power armour and on foot. He will have a power sword (of some description or other) but the other arm will either be a plasma pistol or an infernus pistol. For those of you who have used them yet, which would be better. I know their respective stats but wanted some second opinions. Over to you guys

I'd be tempted with a hand-flamer and melta-bombs for the same points. The infernus pistol is so short ranged that you're in assault range before you can use it, and you need to be within 3" to get the extra D6, and plasma always seems to overheat when you need it.

Although I know you said he'll be on foot, if you want to use the infernus pistol I'd reccomend giving him a jump pack. The loss of range with the infernus pistol can be compensated for with the added mobility. Otherwise, I'd go with the plasma pistol.

I want to have him on foot to make use of the Baal gunners blood drop torso. I think that I will have him in a drop pod or other transport in games, so will probably end up going with the plasma. The infernus suits the figure better but is probably less use in game terms.

Cheers gents. I have a terminator libby, as well as a couple of chaplains. Can't have a company without its captain though, and this one will be on foot in fower armour. May just go with the infernus for the rule of cool

Ok, the Captain might not be the most efficient use of points or the most effective fighting unit, but Mortare's asking how you'd arm a Captain, not what HQ you'd take?

I want to have him on foot to make use of the Baal gunners blood drop torso.
Which kinds rules out a Terminator Librarian, no?

then why dont you stick a jump pack on the baal gunner's torso? I gwill be giving me captain twin Lightning claws and a jump pack who will be used to buff an assault squad with his I6 Strength 5 re-rolls to wound.

I am a stickler and like to have my jump pack marines with harness torsos, not like the new death company whose packs stay on through good will and bloody mindedness. Just little things that I like. I never said it was the best use of points or a great tabletop unit, but I am building a company and want the captain. Lightning claws would be great, but as you demonstrate they sit best with jump packs to get closer faster. My command squad will likely ride a tank (Land Raider Prometheus potentially) or arrive in a pod alongside other units.

i still say if you're just building him to have him, then pens would do better than a power sword.

other than that, a pair of lightning claws is by far better than any sword/pistol combo on a captain. but, if it must be a power sword then i would say your'e better off with a bolt pistol. he's not there to shoot, is he? 15 points for a plasma pistol, or ten for a plasma gun in a squad? for the price of one infernus you can get a melta gun and a flamer for an assault squad. think about how much better those points could be spent. if you are building your company for an apoch battle company, you will probably need every point you can get, and an infernus on the captain isn't going to win the game for you.

if i had to pick one or the other, then plasma, the infernus is pretty useless on someone who's going to have to ride in a rhino or a razorback, at least with the plasma he can join in a drive by since he's got a full 12" of effective range. also, he's not armed with meltabombs or pf and he should be assaulting whatever he shoots, so why is he shooting at vehicles? any unit he is with will have a better way to pop a transport for cheaper so it's not really something you are likely to miss.

lightning claws really are much better and more characterful, but if you're set on a sword, i'd give him meltabombs and stick with the bolt pistol. failing that, give him the plasma, it will kill the same people his sword will.

You know, you could look at an Infernus Pistol as an I10 St8 Powerfist attack. It is DEFINITELY going to kill one model before you make a charge. Which can be useful. Afterall, people used to happily pay 10pts for Terminator Honours to get an extra attack, or Master Crafting. 15pts for what is basically a free kill before combat if you charge isn't bad at all.

If it's down to a choice between an infernus pistol or plasma pistol, take the infernus. The plasma's extra range would be handy on a model that's going to be on foot, but the chance of wounding oneself isn't terribly appealing. If you choose to put this Captain in a Rhino or something, the infernus pistol will be fantastic as you can jump out and fry stuff along with any meltagun armed models in the unit.

Thanks guys. I kind of fell in love with the artwork with the captain entry, wielding a power sword and infernus pistol. I like the idea of the infernus as they are chapter relics, suitable for captains. Whilst I think that a plasma pistol may have better use with its longer range, I like the rule of cool on such things. Thunder hammers DO look cool, but I have a tendency to fail armour saves and not get the chance to strike back. And cool as twin lightning claws are, not this time.

Archived