Melta weapons, drill out the barrels or not?

Is there a logical reason for drilling out the barrels of melta weapons? Since they are essentially microwave emitters (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Melta_Weapons) maybe the end with the ventilated shroud is a wave-form guide?

What do you guys think?

I'd like to see some kind of alternate paint scheme that doesn't drill out the barrel.

• 4 months later...

I generally use the 1mm drill bit that came with my Pin Vice for bolter, bolt pistol and plasma pistol barrels and for drilling the pilot holes for any othe weapon barrels. I think (since I haven't done one for a long time that I might use the 1mm one for plasma guns as well...)

For flamers and meltas I drill a 1mm pilot hole then usually expand the first few mm of it to 2 or 3mm using a larger bit to slightly hollow out the heat shield. I never thought of trimming out the vents as well, but it could look really good if done well.

For Heavy Bolters, Plasma Cannon and Lascannon I'd go with a 1mm pilot hole then re-drilling with a 3mm bit, for Multimelta's you want about the same I think.

oh, and to answer the original question, I'd always drill the barrels - unless they're already drilled...

James

I just stick the tip of my scalpel into the plastic and twirl it with my fingers. Makes a good start which I then enlarge with the tip of the scalpel.

Please note that I do not have a drill and a vice. If I did, I'd use those.

Personally I don't think you need to drill anything unless you are going to be staring at the models closely. When they are in a large formation small details are easily glossed over. Comes down to the whole equation of modeling.

T = time spent

F = frustration level

D = detail

C = color contrast

So you would have (DxC)+T=? compared to the flat number of F. Albeit these levels are totally arbitrary and differ greatly for each person. ;) lulz

I never understood the whole "drill the barrels" thing. I just paint the holes black. It looks the same form above, and since I only ever go for tabletop quality, why bother doing more? It's like battle-damage. Not only is it a bother, but are you seriously suggesting that my Marines can't maintain and fix their own armor? Pish-posh!

I never understood the whole "drill the barrels" thing. I just paint the holes black. It looks the same form above, and since I only ever go for tabletop quality, why bother doing more? It's like battle-damage. Not only is it a bother, but are you seriously suggesting that my Marines can't maintain and fix their own armor? Pish-posh!
It's the cool factor I'm guessing, more work put into it = more cool.

Personally I think it looks too damn good not to do (yes I drill as well). link

Just a thought, if meltas are basically microwaves, then you can plane polarize them with something similar to a grill you get on bbqs. Get 2 at 90 degrees to each other and you stop the wave. Essentially this

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/optics/lightandcolor/images/polarizationfigure1.jpg

On topic, I drill out my melta and flamer barrels, helps make the "scorched" look I paint on the end look better...

From 24+ inches back its not really going to matter if its a black dot or a drilled hope. However some folks actually find the process of modeling and customizing to be really enjoyable.

I've got over 2k points in chaos that I've never played....just paint and model them for now.

I drill out the end, but not the vents on the side as I've always figured they were like the vents on a sten gun:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/khromash/9-mm-sub-machine-gun-smg-or-sten-gun.jpg

ie: there to let out hot air rather than reduce the power of the weapon by letting the actual energy out.

Archived