Which Codex is best

Pirannha

Hey Guys

Lurked here for a long time and am finally finding time to get into the 40k world. I have read the first 2 Heresy books plus a couple others. I'm having a little trouble keeping track of everything that is going regarding weapons and such. I like the preheresy stuff really well so far. Which codex would be best for me? ( I know there are several releases) I'm more interested in fluff and modeling than I am in actual game play. Also is there a good place on the B&C for noobs to read up before harassing the vets with often repeated questions? Oh and one more thing, what order are the HH books? I havent seen a list of what order they should be read in.

Thanks for any help offered.

Best

Brian

If you are wondering wich codex would be best to help you understand what the pieces of wargear actually look likes, Codex : Space Marine would be your best bet. Keep in mind that a lot of thing don't exactly look the same in the 41st millenium than in the Heresy era.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Which edition of the SM Codex is the best for fluff? Or are they all pretty much the same with different covers? Keep in mind I'm not concerned with the game rules.

Best

Brian

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Which edition of the SM Codex is the best for fluff? Or are they all pretty much the same with different covers? Keep in mind I'm not concerned with the game rules.

Best

Brian

In terms of 40k weapons and such the best source is going to be the books that came with the second edition of the game.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warhammer-40-000-W...7063&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warhammer-40-000-C...7089&sr=1-2

I have fond memories of the second edition books, but i may just be nostalgic.

That being said the codexes (or codices - whatever!) back then were easily double the size of third/fourth edition equivalents and rammed full of fluff.

5th edition of the SM codex has gone back to giving us quite a bit of fluff, but it is largely based around the Ultramarines (not that that is necessarily bad).

Now, if your interest lies more in the 30k side of things you cannot go wrong with:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horus-Heresy-Colle...7482&sr=1-1

Great book with wonderful art that tells bits and pieces from the horus heresy, but doesn't really go into details of weapons (other than having pictures of them) or things like that.

I hope some of that is helpful.

Also, the librarium tab at the top of the page has a bunch of info on weapons and other bits and bobs.

Archived