What do you think will be in the next DA codex?

HsojVvad

I am bored, sorry if this is not the right place to be asking this. If it's not where should I be asking then?

So by going by other 5th edtion codex, what do you think the next DA codex will be, when ever it comes out? Seeing what was changed in the SM codex from 4th to 5th, and IG 3rd to 5th and SW 3rd to 5th, Tyranid 4th to 5th and BA PDF to 5th.

I am really not shure, but from guessing my limited knowladge, I am guessing our DA troops will be cheaper. I think the scouts will revert to what they were, or what they are like in SM codex now. I think Temrinators will be stronger as well. I would like to think the Terminators will be cheaper to field as well, but from reading SW and BA they are expensive units.

So I know alot of you guys here are very knowladgeable, so for those who have gone through the codecii can you speculate from what you read, what could potenially see in the next DA codex?

Like I said before, I can see us having cheaper Troops. I can see us having strong Terminators and bikers for DW and RW. I am not shure if the DW and RW units would be cheaper so we could buy $$$ more models or will they be like SW and BA be more expensive to field?

I believe we would have more special characters and hopefully better psychic powers this time around. I am not shure about special vehicles or how they would work that out. What do you guys think about that?I also believe we would have more fluff as well.

What special rules from looking at the other codecii do you think we will have? I am trying to stay away from a wishing thread (I was going to make a wishing thread but I don't think the mods would be to happy on it right now.) but make this thread a best guess thread of what could be.

So I love to read what you have to say.

I'm willing to bet that your Terminators will be brought to line with Wolf terminators, possibly at a reduced base and wargear cost, but with some bit of "something" that must be required to buy before you can take Deathwing. I think his name is Azrael? (Genuinely don't know)

Probably better Ravenwing choices, but possibly an increase in price for them.

Definitely better Librarian abilities (Gods know you guys need 'em.)

Possibly some sort of Land Raider upgrade

(This is a bit of wishlisting, but also a bit of thinking.) Better Greenwing, possibly a return to Plasma-storm style armies.

That's all I can think up off the top of my head, of course, aside from the standard "Lulzomg CHARACTERS!"

Yes I am shure you would have to take Belial if you want Terminators as Troops. I am not shure, did the Terminators get more powerful and expensive in the SW and BA codex? I hear you can make a DW type army with the SW codex but it's really expensive. I am guessing it will be the same for DA.

What do you mean a better RW? You mean like special rules for just the RW that would make them better riders or something like that? Has that happened to any of the other codex?

I can speak since I have the Tyranid codex and I can see maybe a new model for DA, but I don't remember if that happened for BA so I am not so shure now. All I know what ever lots of models most DA players have, (ala Carnifex) that model will have a price increase to field and or nerf as well. If a new model comes out, then it will have a big buff to show for. Did this happen for IG, SW or BA?

Since SW have a special overall rule, like 4 HQ, I can't remember what it was for BA and no idea for IG, I think DA will have something as well. I don't think they will have 4 HQ choices but maybe say have more Elite sections at the expense of a different FOC or just extra Elite slots just like the SW have more HQ slots.

Seeing how the GK might be able to field an all jetbike squad, I don't think that will happen to DA but maybe they will have something else. Maybe a cheaper or more expensive Land Speeder squad. (the Tygron version of selling more models if nothing new)

I'm sure that we will get some IC that allows DR+assault... YES, finally will be able to play 36 termies in a competitive way!!!! Forget about HS!

In the grim future, there is only Terminator Assault!

Yes I am shure you would have to take Belial if you want Terminators as Troops. I am not shure, did the Terminators get more powerful and expensive in the SW and BA codex? I hear you can make a DW type army with the SW codex but it's really expensive. I am guessing it will be the same for DA.

Yes speaking from experience, you can do a loganwing, but options are very expensive, same for Special character upgrades. You could end up with 15 guys at 1500 points if you do not reign yourselve in.. :P

My own 1700 lists play around 22 to 30 models mostly in TDA.

What do you mean a better RW? You mean like special rules for just the RW that would make them better riders or something like that? Has that happened to any of the other codex?

I'm guessing skilled rider would be a good guess, now pure RW lists die so many times on the already very expensive models when and semi decent opponent knows this and sits in cover..

I can speak since I have the Tyranid codex and I can see maybe a new model for DA, but I don't remember if that happened for BA so I am not so shure now. All I know what ever lots of models most DA players have, (ala Carnifex) that model will have a price increase to field and or nerf as well. If a new model comes out, then it will have a big buff to show for. Did this happen for IG, SW or BA?

Carni's got hit a lot, bit unfair by GW, need more money so they base other models on the carni for conversions (Tervigon, Tyranofex) just to seel more models. SW/BA did not get any older models nerfed that bad, but yes, some old favourites have dropped on their usefullness a bit. Now the trygon is the new wonder kit they sell a lot (and yes, it's good, I've had it against me a lot).

Since SW have a special overall rule, like 4 HQ, I can't remember what it was for BA and no idea for IG, I think DA will have something as well. I don't think they will have 4 HQ choices but maybe say have more Elite sections at the expense of a different FOC or just extra Elite slots just like the SW have more HQ slots.

They have several rules that help a change their playstyle. BA have decent of angels, all jumppackers can drop from reserves more accurate, and red thirst gets them fearless and FnP I think (Or furious charge?) and one special character buffs the change for that to happen. (So all your units have a chance to exchange combat tactics for this.)

Then non army wide their tanks are now fast (BIG boost), and they have an option for a billion dreads in a list

SW have things like accute sences and counter attack army wide (But no combat tactics) and ofcourse cavalery units and wolves as signature units.

Seeing how the GK might be able to field an all jetbike squad, I don't think that will happen to DA but maybe they will have something else. Maybe a cheaper or more expensive Land Speeder squad. (the Tygron version of selling more models if nothing new)

Don't take the GK rumours to serious yet, no codex date on the horizon makes for very dissapointed people. (In other words, it might be complete hogwash, BA players where fooled by leaked info that turned out to be a fandex)

What I think we'll see in the new DA codex (In no particular order of how certain I am, just as I think them up):

- Price discounts to correct the price differences. (up and down)

- Hardware upgrades to bring hardware in line (3+ storm shield, 2 shot CML etc..)

- Venerable dread upgrade to resemple the SM codex type.

- Normal SW/BA/SM hardware (redeemer, rayzorback variants, stuff that came out after we had our new book)

- More special characters. Seems 8 to 10-ish is acceptable in a codex now. So expect some oldies back and some new ones with new background fluff.

- Improved ravenwing, not shure how, but skilled rider seems a must.

- Improved weapon options for the deathwing (Maybe slightly less flexible weapon load outs, but I hope combieweapons stay in.

- Ld 10 24" hood psychers with good usefull powers.

- Mortis dreads, at least like the one in the SM codex, perhaps as a DA only specialty more weapon configs (would fit well with the forgeworld stuff)

- Some characters stats will change. (Azzy's should go up, hoping he'll be a combat powerhouse like the other SM bosses.)

And the costs for these uber guys will be landraider size. (Njal, Logan, Saguinor, Mephiston, those type of guys can buy you a landraider and then some change...)

I'm guessing most current characters will get a re-do in rules and effects.

- Some army wide default special rules (Say stubbern) with Belial granting something to the deathwing (like scoring :tu: ) Sammy something to the ravenwing, and Azzrael something to the greenwing. (Id say).

Perhaps even a return of Ironwing somethings (Something with a lot of armour.)

I actually do not expect a lot of yetbikes, but you never know....

Krewl's list seems pretty spot on for me. I see them bringing the Mortis Dreadnought over straight from the Imperial Armor update and possibly adding a special rule to it. I expect to either see Company Veterans go into a hybrid sterngaurd/vangaurd role (basically as they are now, but with special ammo and ability to get a second heavy weapon) or to be replaced by both of those units. I also expect we will get the storm raven. To me that seems like an option that will filter out into all space marine chapters released from here on out.

For the DA over-the-top/fluff expansion unit, we might see a watchers in the dark unit. I could see these guys as psychic choir type things or upgrades for ICs and special units that grant some special ability (such as an invulnerable save or psychic defense) I would like to learn more about them from a fluff standpoint, but I don't think they should necessarily get that spot on the game table.

Funny thing is, all these things listed as "likely" pretty much is my wish list for DA. We should end up very much like space marines with just enough goodies and fluff expansion to be unique. I am patiently waiting :)

As listed above is likely to be right.

For the DA over-the-top/fluff expansion unit, we might see a watchers in the dark unit. I could see these guys as psychic choir type things or upgrades for ICs and special units that grant some special ability (such as an invulnerable save or psychic defense) I would like to learn more about them from a fluff standpoint, but I don't think they should necessarily get that spot on the game table.

You learn a little about them in Descent of Angels, worth a read for that glimpse of their nature alone. A special ability to protect squads they are attaced to from the warp/psychic powers sounds good. But that's not what this thread is about... :D

Going on what has happened with other codices, where they have focused on a few solid points and moulded the entire army around them: for the DA over-the-top ness i fear the designer may take our "love" of plasma weapons too far. It's a bit of fluff that seems to have been engrained into our reputation as the first/oldest of all space marines. Give us a dose of codex creep and we will might end up with plasma spam and an army that can't be bested in a fire fight. Until you roll 1's all round and loose everything in a blue flash.

Al

Oh I've read it. I've even had a chat with the author of the sequel and I know full well what he based them on. If Mike Lee gets to write the third book in that series I think we'll get some nice story stuff coming from them. It'd be interesting to see something be mentioned in an actual codex, however.

Archived