Sick to death of combi-weapons

I have my PA sergeants magnetized, and equipped with an array of weapons "for all situations" - pistol, bolter, PF, LC, PW, chainsword and even a Pointy Finger of Doom. They were built during 4th Ed, so now that the combi-weapons are all the rage, I've taken to constructing additional limbs. Thankfully, I had bits stashed from "ye olden times"....

After making four combi-melta magnetic arms, I realized that I've had just about enough of it. The "completionist" in me demanded that I go right back and make four combi-plasmas and four combi-flamers. The "I'm bloody sick of this" demanded that I FINALLY switch to something more exciting than magnetizing arms for the same damn minis.

So, I took the smallest drill bit, and drilled a hole in the front of each sergeant's base. I glued a little bit of foam underneath the base, and bought some of these in colors red, yellow and blue.

Now, before the game starts, I declare the following:

"These sergeants are each equipped with a universal combi-weapon that can be configured to fire as a plasma gun, melta gun or a flamer. Red pin indicates melta, yellow indicates flame, and blue indicates plasma." I then put the pins into the bases (since they face my opponent, he can clearly see what each sergeant carries), and once the combi-shot has been fired, I remove the pin.

Lame or ingenious? I think... *drumroll*... a bit of BOTH!! Heh...

I like it. One of the things I really hate is facing an opponent with a unit of 50 bajillion combis. They fire three, and promptly "forget" which ones have fired, and which have not. Whihc leads to wound allocation annoyances, as well as "oh, have I fired his combi yet?" when only one model is within combimelta range.

I like it. One of the things I really hate is facing an opponent with a unit of 50 bajillion combis. They fire three, and promptly "forget" which ones have fired, and which have not. Whihc leads to wound allocation annoyances, as well as "oh, have I fired his combi yet?" when only one model is within combimelta range.

This is one of many reasons I bring a pencil to the game. Even if you don't actually keep track of what weapon has fired, pretending to do so can keep some players honest :P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived