Watchers in the Dark

Walter Payton

Well, I've never seen any official reason why a successor could not be blessed / plagued with Watchers in the Dark (depending on your point of view). As one of the possible theories about them is that the Watchers are a manifestation of the guilt of the Unforgiven (not just the Dark Angels), that implies that they are associated with the successor chapters as well as the Dark Angels. Other fluff does indicate that they are only on the Rock.

The bottom line: if you can make a cool looking model featuring a Watcher, then go for it. The neat thing about creating a DIY chapter is that you can work around and with existing fluff to your heart's content.

The bottom line: if you can make a cool looking model featuring a Watcher, then go for it. The neat thing about creating a DIY chapter is that you can work around and with existing fluff to your heart's content.

I'd agree with this. Brother-Captain Sharp is right too. There is no established written fluff that links Watchers with any other Chapter than the DA themselves. There are two theories that might explain this. The first as brennus says in his post above. The second that they are some kind of 'supernatural' entity native to Caliban (now the Rock) itself so are unlikely to stray too far – with the exception of Azzy's helmet Bearer of course.

Cheers

I

Don't forget that even though DA have succesor chapters, they are still DA. The DA only appear to have only 1000 SM and then have successor chapters, that is apperance only, and are really one chapter with over 5000 SM maybe even more than 10 000. I can't remember where I read that now, so I don't have proof.

I think the BT and SW might be bigger than us chapter wise. So we are in the top 3 of the biggest, if not the biggest, chapters out of all the SM.

So because of my thinking like this, I can't see why the successor chapter wouldn't have Watchers in the Dark.

Don't forget that even though DA have succesor chapters, they are still DA. The DA only appear to have only 1000 SM and then have successor chapters, that is apperance only, and are really one chapter with over 5000 SM maybe even more than 10 000. I can't remember where I read that now, so I don't have proof.

I think the BT and SW might be bigger than us chapter wise. So we are in the top 3 of the biggest, if not the biggest, chapters out of all the SM.

So because of my thinking like this, I can't see why the successor chapter wouldn't have Watchers in the Dark.

If that is the case then the Unforgiven have at least 7000 marines, which would make them the largest vaguely unified Space Marine organisation in the Imperium.

Pretty sure that's been fairly well known canon for years now Hsoj. The Dark Angels and all of their successors are ruled by the same inner circle even though they are nominally autonomous. In fact it gets to the point that an entire chapter was allegedly founded just to hunt for Cypher on behalf of the Dark Angels.

Therefore, you could probably involve WinD somehow as DA successors of high enough stature would have access to the Rock and would therefore encounter them. That said, I'm not exactly sure how you want to involve them, aren't they just little gremlins that live in the dungeon that the DA keep and hang out with Luther/the Lion?

That said, I'm not exactly sure how you want to involve them, aren't they just little gremlins that live in the dungeon that the DA keep and hang out with Luther/the Lion?

And I am not exactly sure how you want a Death Guard army, aren't they just the numpties that caught a cold and couldn't find the ibuprofen? :P- for me, the Watchers are one of the coolest pieces of GW fluff for years.

Such is subjectivity...

I'm not sure Rain was asking why you wanted to include them, Alecto, but how. For example, do you want them to carry wargear around like Azrael's watcher (a very cool idea which I one day intend to try), or do you have some other idea?

I'm not sure Rain was asking why you wanted to include them, Alecto, but how. For example, do you want them to carry wargear around like Azrael's watcher (a very cool idea which I one day intend to try), or do you have some other idea?

Mea culpa :)

It is actually my wee brother's idea. He seems to want them to carry wargear like you suggested.

I wonder what the imperiam thinks of Azraels watcher. Do they just think its a ratling carrying his helmet around or does the grand master not take him outside of the ROck? Surely if the grandmaster has this little guy carrying his stuff around for him we should know more about these creatures? are they demonic?

With all of the cherubs, servo-skulls, and mechanical servitors employed by the various Astartes chapters, I imagine that the Watchers are thought of as just another servitor-variant.

I see no reason why the Watchers in the Dark would be confined to just the Dark Angels and not their successors. It could easily be justified fluff wise to say that a group of your successor marines went to the Rock for the Feast of Malidiction and were approached by the shady Watchers.

The Unforgiven Chapters are supposed to visit the Rock pretty frequently, it seems perfectly plausible that the Watchers would tag along with Unforgiven visitors back to their Chapters for whatever it is that Watchers do (holding helmets and looking swanky in white robes?).

Archived