White Terminator Heads/even painting and Skull White

Dear Brothers I recently did encounter a few issues while painting.

1. I am pretty unshure on how to paint steady/even. This meansthe colored areas (blood red) always look a little bit bulky. I am not shure why this is - I dont use to much paint but it seems kind of thick. Many tutorials recommend thinning the colors a lot - but in this case the covering is not that good. So I am stuck here.

2. I am painting Black Templar Like Terminators with White Heads. I just spray the model using the chaos black primer. Afterwards I painted 2 Layers of Skull white - but this also looked a bit bulky uneven. SO I tried to paint it like I do with the shoulderpatterns of Black Templars - first paint a layer of fortress grey and then a layer of skull white. However - when i had finised the layer of fortress grey it seemed to me like the layer of paint was much thinner and all details still were clearly visual. So is there some sort of difference between skull white and fortress grey in matters of consistency? Or is this the same thing as above and I just have to thin the paint a bit?

Thin the paint a little (don't make it a wash), apply a couple of coats. You want the paint to flow smoothly off the brush, not be spread like butter.

As for white - fortress grey as a base works, and provides your shading. Just blend up from the grey to white (use quite thin white, very little on the brush at a time).

The paint scheme for my Doom Brigade chapter is similar to the Black Templar paint scheme as well. I have found that foundation paints combined with watered down colors work wonders in solving the issues you speak of.

I spray my figures with chaos black, then anything that is going to be any shade of red gets a coat of mechrite red foundation, anything any shade of white gets a coat of tallarn flesh (i believe thats the name.) You may want to use the grey foundation paint if you are ultimately painting them skull white, i use tallarn flesh because the color over it is bleached bone. Then I apply my colors directly over this. This tech enique minimizes the amount of paint necesarry to cover the black, while providing a nice even color.

Archived