using guitar strings

Ok, so finally started converting my marines (will have a pic up of my test run model when he's done) and am giving each of them a scoped bolter with a cable running from the bolter to the backpack, to give the idea that the have a HUD of where the bolter is aimed. All good. Using guitar strings for the cable, and i need tips here.

Being a guitarist i have just about every gauge guitar string lying around, so in terms of ease of use, what is the best gauge to go with? At the moment 36 gauge seems to be ok, but it's still a little stiff, and difficult to manipulate, and i get the feeling the pressure may cause the model to simply fly apart at some point, most likely ripping the scope from the bolter. So, is there any way to soften the strings up, or is there a thinner gauge that I should be using, or am i simply fretting over nothing?

Cheers

Go with whatever gauge is the look you are after. I drill a hole for the wire to disappear into, and add a drop of superglue. If you change your own strings, I probably don't have to tell you the core wire will go right into, and if you are incautious, through your finger. It hurts...

Oh, I just use pliers. I want a pair of round nosed ones to not crimp the wire, but haven't got one yet.

RoV

Something else to keep in mind is that you should invest in a pair of dedicated cutters that can handle the hardened wire core, otherwise you will notch your good clippers all to heck.

One trick I have used for doing things with guitar wire is to wrap it around something round, like a pencil, that is slightly smaller than the bend you want to make. The wire won't get quite as tight as the object you wrap it around, then you can just cut off sections of pre curved wire and slightly adjust them to get the right fit. When I have done this in the past it leaves no pressure on the two holes I drill to place the wire into, and it gives a smooth bend instead of lots of small angular ones.

Hey,

i'm tight on cash

Break down and buy yourself a silver-wound classical guitar string.

The nylon core is safer for eyes, fingers and tools.

The 30in length is a lifetime supply - for a buck.

HTH

Playa

Archived