Gabriel Seth

shinigami

I havn't used him, and here is why: no power weapon. IMO he suffers from a mean case of PDF Corbulo Syndrom (hereafter PCS), and I don't think his abilities make up for it. Granted, he'll tear a tank in half, but a Capt w/ meltabombs can do that better for fewer points.

Rending can be nice, but I don't think it makes up for PCS...

Seth doesn't waste his time with mere MEQs, that's what the rest of your army does. He's there to smash Dreadnoughts and Daemons and the like. A power weapon won't eat that vehicle or get through that invulnerable save.

Seth for what he costs rocks, if you have had a bad experience with him then your just not using him right

How does one use him right, then? Throw him at Dreadnoughts and hope he kills it before he gets insta-killed? :P

i read the discussion, i love'd using seth the game that i played. noone mentioned Feriocious Instincts i played him with an assualt sqaud without jump packs and he paid for his points and then some with his stubbornness to go down without a fight.

Not sure about all this hate for Seth's sculpt. I personally think it's a fantastic model that really bears tribute to the classic Space Marine models and the image of 40k as a whole: a giant, angry bald man with a massive chain-sword and baroque armor. Compared to the over-embellished crap GW has been making of late (I'm looking at you, Sanguinor), it's refreshing to see a Space Marine in the gritty "retro" style.

Rules-wise, I'll be the first to admit that Seth isn't exactly a "competitive" piece. His lack of Eternal Warrior and a Power Weapon (yeah, that's sort of silly) drop him back a bit in terms of value. For less than his cost you could get a well equipped Reclusiarch or Librarian, which will go quite a bit further. That said, he is a fun choice that can do a good bit of damage in the right situation.

It's too bad they didn't try harder with Seth; it would have been a simple matter to give him the ability to Rend on a 4, 5, or 6 or perhaps EW and make him a much stronger model. :HQ:

I will always use him, no matter what. Few models compare to the bad ass appearance of the Flesh Tearer Chapter Master. He's here, and he means business. I agree there's some power gaming issues with him, but his model is what sold me on doing Flesh Tearers instead of rebuilding my old Blood Angel army.

I agree with Malus Sure he is not in my 1500 point tourny list but as soon as the points level is raised or its a freindly game Hes on like donkey kong. He has also racked up a nice 11 dred kills in the last 4 games and he also headbutted one around 3 times which was funny as hell hahaha images of him headbutting a dred while Screaming *B:cuss please then forcing his chainsword through the Dent he made* and he also racked up 2 raider kills in one game gue to their was no Dred for him to kill.

Oh and his funniest fight was against Khârn Khârn rolled 4 ones and was headbutted to death and took out half his own unit :P EPIC WIN.

Still like to think of it as a "package" masher then a head butt, which makes the whole idea of Khârn dying like that so much better hahhaah

Me too. Once I killed Old One Eye with a kick to his alien junk. It was hilarious and totally made my day. It was still total luck though and I don't let that incident influence my opinion about our Chapter Master. :P

This is the short of it. Weather or not you have had good or bad experiences with him the fact is that no one will take him in ard boyz because he is simply not competitve. fact. Is he fluffy and cool? Absolutely but in terms of making him work on the battlefield he is really limited to killing dreads as his i5 striking str 8 rending weapon is usefull, against any other vehicle a thunder hammer on a chap or a lib with sang sword is just a better purchase and will kill more meq's in combat. For mowing down 'mobs' with his auto hit whirlwind he still is relatively useless. Unless he is by himself at best hell hit 3 models and his lack of artificer armor means mobs will bring him down easily, 1 wound doesnt make up for artificer.

Yes as someone said if you take an honor guard with banner and lib with unleash he becomes quite hard but thats cause you just took a 500pt unit. The stupidity of this comment is just overwhelming and meph alone would still beat that entire unit! For the people who 'don't play mathammer', well bad news boys and girls. Once you physically make combat, thats all the game really is maths. So im sorry to say when it comes to that he is relatively ineffective.

Tip. Change the models silly mr potato head give him a jump pack and use him as a counts as astorath as all BA players know that is what Seth should have been! WARD!!!!!! Oh it doesnt matter we all know he's an... fill in the blank.

Hmmmm.... Seth.... as Astorath..... Hmmm.....

You know when the 'fake' pdf codex was leaked I thought to myself "YES! Seth giving his chapter Red Thirst on a roll of 1-3 instead of a 1 really reflects their far higher rate of succumbing! Great!". Heck you could even upgrade him to have a Jump pack! Then when the book actually came out and he had.... well no special rules at all that were useful and no Jump Pack I was heartbroken.

Bloodreaver as a S6 Power Weapon that causes Invulnerable saves to be re-rolled. Perfect!

It's so obvious, but yet such a beautiful idea.

Actually, I think he'll work really WELL in an 'Ard Boyz list. At least the one I'm building. He fits perfectly, is highly effective, and I make Alpha Strike I. Guard fight an EXTREMELY steep up hill battle. You know, versus, picking up your last model in turn 2.

Edit*

And this is not tailoring a list to counter Alpha strike Guard. It's my all comers build.

Okay, as someone considering an Astaroth list, but hating his model, I think converted Seth counts-as might be the way to go here... But that means I need to get a new Gabe, since I actually like him fluff-wise, even through I run BA rather than Flesh Tearers. Has anyone got a Seth-based build they'd care to share? Or is he not the kind of character one builds a whole list around, and you just support him with a single squad?

Archived