Sanguinor & his sword

I was looking through our codex this morning and discovered that the Sanguinor's sword is actually a Blade Encarmine. Therefore he has a master crafted power weapon. Nice little perk that is.

:D

0b ^_^

thats more a question of how good he is as a character killer. Though he can certainly deal with most basic infantry. He makes a nice support character in assaults and a MC weapon certainly helps. Flip side of that being when Im running a 275pt character BO I support of expect you to know the rules for the character :)

I just saw this morning while flipping through the codex reading his background material. To some he is mote than just about killing an enemy character. He runs through MEQ squads like barbed razor wire.

0b :)

IMO Sanguinor is much more than 'just' a Character Killer, he fills the role of supporting a unit in combat very nicley, in a few games hes never touched combat, jst stayed within 6" of several units in combat ( a Priest next to him) and every single sqaud in that Bubble are essentially veterans with FNP/FC) an expensie way to us him, but it works

that Glaive Encarmine is quite handy for such combats! especially with my dice rolls!

He fills lots of roles. I have been playing a lot of opponents who have an absence of ICs in their army - like nids and daemons.

His high weapon skill, eternal warrior, 2+/3++, bonus attack aura and sarg buffing powers are crazy good. He is worth every point.

I have doubted getting him though.. but that is mostly a fluff vs execution matter. I mean, in the fluff he is described as a demon-killer, but when I look at his stats I doubt he really is tooled to kill demons and monstrous creatures that good. Especially considering how good other characters are at that (like Tycho, Seth or Astorath with their high Str weapons)

What are people's experience in his monster-killing power? As I really feel he misses something there..

He fills lots of roles. I have been playing a lot of opponents who have an absence of ICs in their army - like nids and daemons.

If I can comment Murphestus, Sanguinors Avenging Angel is specific to HQ choices not IC like Dante's Mask.....

if affects ANY HQ, (IG players hate this if you choose their Command Sqaud!)

this makes him PERFECT for fighting nids & Daemons! in one game he chose a Keeper of Secrets as his target, slew a Great Unclean One, and then had his target for dinner!

to Brother-Captain Devlonir: He is a Rock hard Character, I find he fills just about all roles BEWARE though, he may be tough but with only 3 wounds and T4 (still damn good!)

he can still get bogged down and dragged down if overwhelmed

Happy hunting Brothers!

anyway combining him with dante is will piss your enemy.

I use this all the time with Sanguinor leading my Sanguinary Guard army with Dante.

It's the look on your opponents face when you tell them what your doing. :D

Sorry, slightly off-topic, but; why the hell does the Sanguinor have a Blood Chalice? Especially one that gets no mention within the rules. I mean, maybe it gives him his aura of fervor or one of his other powers, but it never mentions any of his abilities in relation to his chalice. He's just carrying around a cup. Frickin wino.

My guess is the Sanguinor originally had a Blood Chalice like a priest, but it was removed as being too good.

Otherwise, whoever did the model just liked cups.

Just take both :) especially in 1000 point battles.

Funny you mentioned that, because I'm writing up a 1000 point list to build in the future for some scenarios we plan on playing at my FLGS, and I'm definitely using Mephiston and a LRC for one of my assault squads. I plan on using the LRC as a shield, then let Mephiston hop over and rip apart something.

I've had my Sanguinor kill Marneus and Lysander 2v1 and not take a single wound after several rounds of combat (both fighting him from start to finish, until dead of course). He later dispatched them both with ease 1v1 in a seperate game. Sanguinor, even if he kills no one, is also a black hole for heavy weapons fire. He just isn't really that effected by it. My friend used his Sanguinor to kill an entire unit of dark eldar incubi and their lord HQ (failed his 2+ inv) in 1 turn.

That said, don't let him fight dreadnoughts, that's just bad news. And I've also had him gunned down by shotgun scouts and bolter fire. Don't let them shoot him with small arms, that's the best way for anyone to drop him. Toughness wise he's kind of the opposite of meph, who laughs at small arms but fears heavy weapons. Sanguinor laughs at heavy weapons and fears small arms. Neither are fun for your opponent in combat, ICs or not. He is also the most under-rated support unit in the codex, as many here have suggested.

I've had my Sanguinor kill Marneus and Lysander 2v1 and not take a single wound after several rounds of combat (both fighting him from start to finish, until dead of course). He later dispatched them both with ease 1v1 in a seperate game. Sanguinor, even if he kills no one, is also a black hole for heavy weapons fire. He just isn't really that effected by it. My friend used his Sanguinor to kill an entire unit of dark eldar incubi and their lord HQ (failed his 2+ inv) in 1 turn.

That said, don't let him fight dreadnoughts, that's just bad news. And I've also had him gunned down by shotgun scouts and bolter fire. Don't let them shoot him with small arms, that's the best way for anyone to drop him. Toughness wise he's kind of the opposite of meph, who laughs at small arms but fears heavy weapons. Sanguinor laughs at heavy weapons and fears small arms. Neither are fun for your opponent in combat, ICs or not. He is also the most under-rated support unit in the codex, as many here have suggested.

He was killed in one round of shooting when a unit of termis dropped in a pod right next to him. The roll should have scattered and seen the termis dispatched to the warp but they were lucky, any scatter at all and the pod would have mis-dropped, alas it was not to be. Then they opened up with combi plasma's and melta's. The smoke cleared and the sanguinor was gone. Turn one. *sadface*

Archived