Advice on kit/model/collection purchase.

Mirivor

Hello all. I hope this post is not replicated elsewhere and apologize if it is. I have been searching these forums for the past two hours and my eyes are tired.

I am considering getting into the Blood Angels. My Tau force is complete and I want something with an entirely different feel, so the uber-assaulty Angels seem like the way to go. During my 40K initiation as a new player I gradually learned the hard way that often times it is better to buy a kit that is not necessarily the one that you are trying to build. I learned, for example, that when the desire to build a Devilfish or a Hammerhead takes hold of you, it is much better for you to buy a Skyray because that particular kit has everything you need to build any of the three tanks. In fact with magnets one kit gets you any one of the three whenever you need.

The space marine unit list is daunting to me... there are so many offered. Are there any tricks of the trade for marines, Blood Angels in particular, that follow that pattern? I have noted in my wanderings that Predator kits can be used to make a more Blood Angel-themed Rhino, for instance, while magnets would allow you to have one of 3 vehicles from that single kit. Are there other hints and tips that the players here have? Should I purchase certain kits of a certain type in the fashion described above?

Apologies once more if this is a topic that I failed to find and thanks for your time.

Later!

PS: I have an opportunity to purchase a Blood Angel collection from a friend but I am not sure how converty SM figures are. He is asking $150 for an assembled Land Raider (normal configuration), a Bhaal Pred with the autocannon, a Space Marines Battleforce (complete, some figs assembled), the new codex, a virtuoso Dread (old metal one), an Assault squad box, a Sanguine Guard box, Mephisto, Dante, Lemartes, a black GW carrying case (infantry slots only), and finally a single unit of Grey Hunters. I presume that this is a fantastic deal especially considering the new cost of kits. Can anyone think of a reason to NOT buy it? Thanks again!

Whenevr you consider buying a Rhino.... don't. Buy a Razorback kit and don't glue on the roof. That way you can use it as both a Razorback and a Rhino, depending on your list/mood whatever.

Learn to magnetize arms and weapons and you will save a lot of money over time.

Death Company sets are the Blood Angels build-a-marine box. In addition to the obvious (meaning DC), you can use them to make Blood Angel themed Assault Marines, Tactical Marines, Honor Guard, Sternguard, Vanguard Veterans, or even the non-heavy weapon carrying Devastators. Dig up some heavy weapon bitz and meltaguns to fill in the gaps of certain squads, and you're golden.

The Sanguinary Guard box has a lot of nice BA-flavoured bitz as well. Just not the variety of the DC box. However the beautiful Chapter Banner contained therein goes great with an Honor Guard (assuming you don't give it to your SG).

And as Sama pointed out, magnetize arms and backpacks/jump packs for maximum flexibility.

EDIT: The stuff you can buy from your friend looks like a great deal. The Marines should be fairly easy to "dress up" with a few bitz from a DC box.

That bit about the DC is exactly the sort of stuff I am looking for.

Thanks all for the comments and insight. Any further tricks are welcome, as well.

I just got off of the phone with a wolf player who talked about the differences in the various squads and what bits they come with so that helped a little.

Back to the forums with me.

Later!

I would most certainly say that your buddy is giving you an excellent deal.

But mostly I would say you should use the Grey Hunter box to conver them all into space wolves :P

*dodges the peircing glances*.

Archived