DC rules question

Hello all,

in an attempt to help a fellow Blood Angels player out with his list. I noticed that he had more then one Troop selection of DC. Now this is where the question comes in. He has at least 5 models of actual Death Company. He has also chosen a Death Company Dreadnought to go with them.

I see both of those and say the list is not legal. Why? Well they are seperate selections in the codex. Even though you need 5 regular DC models to take one, you need to fill a second troop choice for the Dread.

Am I reading this incorrectly? Please help us both out.

Thanks

Not 100% sure what the question is, but the Dread is the second Troop choice, so tht is fine. It is just a choice you canot take UNLESS you have at least 5 DC. But once you select both the Dread isn't like the free Honor Guard for HQ, they both count towards your troop choice limit.

As I understand the question, the list in question has 2 units of Death Company (so must have Astorath as HQ).

Each unit is less than 5 models, but in total they must be more than 5 (since the minimum is 3 per unit).

As he has more than 5 DC in his army, he can take a DC dread.

I'm reading the dex and under Astorath it doesn't say you can take more than one unit of DC. They way it reads is that you can have 1 unit of DC with 5-27 members in the unit, and one DC Dread for every 5 DC models in the army.

Page 81 Redeemer of the Lost rule under Astorath removes the 0-1 DC limit

Under DC Dread listing (P89) clearly states you may include one DC Dread for ever 5 DC in your army. No mention of having all the DC in one unit.

So for every 5 DC (in one or more units) you can have 1 DC Dread.

The DC Dread does not count towards the 0-1 Death Company Limit, but does take up its own Troop FOC slot.

I'm reading the dex and under Astorath it doesn't say you can take more than one unit of DC. They way it reads is that you can have 1 unit of DC with 5-27 members in the unit, and one DC Dread for every 5 DC models in the army.

You're reading Astorath's entry on page 45. Go to page 82 and see the Redeemer of the Lost special rule.

And the DC entry says you must have 3 and can add up to 27 (so 3-30), not 5-27.

+++EDIT+++ I somehow missed Citizen of Baal's answer...

But once you select both the Dread isn't like the free Honor Guard for HQ, they both count towards your troop choice limit.

That would be sweet. ;)

As I understand the question, the list in question has 2 units of Death Company (so must have Astorath as HQ).

It is the 0-1 problem of DC. Without astorath you can only have 1 DC troop choice.

The DC Dread does not count towards the 0-1 Death Company Limit, but does take up its own Troop FOC slot.

Seems like we are coming up with two definitive, yet opposing answers. I am still confused as to wether the answer is that the DC Dred can be taken without Astorath.

Regular BA army;

0-1 Death Company unit

3-30 DC Marines in unit

Death Company Dreadnought

1 per five DC Marines

With six TROOPS choices to fill,

1 FOC = 30 DC Marines

5 FOC = 5 DC Dreadnoughts

Astorath Army

0-6 Death Company unit

3-30 DC Marines in unit

So you could have three DC units (3-30 in size) and three DC Dreads (as long as there were 15 DC Marines in the army), for example.

The 3 DC units would not need to have 5 in each unit, just a sum total of 15.

So 3,4 and 8 = 15 in the 3 DC units

+++

Astorath is not needed to take a DC dread.

Astorath does not need to have any DC units in his army.

Yes he can.

A simple legal list:

Captain

Death Company (consisting of 5 models - this is your 0-1 choice, which Astorath allows you to take multiple units of)

Death Company Dreadnought (you are allowed one of these for every 5 DC models - but DC Dreads themselves are not covered by the 0-1 restriction on DC)

Archived