Deathwing question regarding the old 2nd edition book

Beef

Basically the topic about the Lions character mentions this book. the one with Two heads talking and weasal fierce. I loved that book and I loved the DA when they had that native american vibe going on. They were my fave chapter slightly ahead of my beloved SW until the revision which turned them into monastic battle monks with a shifty agenda. Now what i want to know is how come that group of termies was all from the same planet. I know GW retconned the fluff to make it that DA recruit from loads of different planets but how come so many from one planet all made it into the Deathwing?? Seems a bit odd. I cant remember if the replacment captain of the 1st company was also from that planet or not (the one that came to take the TDA back to the chapter)

And since when would the DA allow their marines to just retire on a planet like that? Very odd with todays fluff. Obviously thats why I initially liked the DA but damn you GW you have turned them into a chapter i dislike now. (no offence guys but i like the more tribal chapters like SW and White scars rather than the more monk/knights chapter like BT and DA)

Yes the substitute Captain was also from plains world.

the Issue about the story is that it was written way before Current DA fluff, so it contradicts alot of what we know today. GW had a graceful explanation saying that the story is an allegory for for the young scouts.. a way to tell them about DA schism and prepare their minds to future secrets...

So basically DW story is inaccurate at this point in time..

Ok thanks for that. could you explain what GW meant by "the story is an allegory for for the young scouts.. a way to tell them about DA schism and prepare their minds to future secrets..."

How does this prepare them for information on the fallen? I have heard this explanation before but it does not make sence to me. how does telling them about the bravery of those plains warriors lead onto the topic of the fallen?

Well under a pedagogic point of view :D It prepares them to future revelations.

So we have the good guys that land on their birth planet and find that some of their own people are infected and turned against them.. suddenly they cannot trust their owns brothers. That has a lot of parallelism to DAs history of rebellion on Caliban.

Of course some parts have some holes in it, like the ending is almost opposite.. but I can see GW point of view trying to establish the Deathwing story as a folklore story to DA recruits... a story within a story.

Man, I loved that story; though it's been an age since I read it last.

It never occured to me just how different those Dark Angels (and indeed marines in general) are to todays. I quite like the idea of marines retiring, although if they're functionally immortal I suppose it is more than a little indulgent. Still, I'm going to echo Beef's statement and say it's a shame. Playing up the plains warrior bits would go some way towards making the DA more human.

They were my fave chapter slightly ahead of my beloved SW until the revision which turned them into monastic battle monks with a shifty agenda.

I like to think they're both. :D

Now what i want to know is how come that group of termies was all from the same planet. I know GW retconned the fluff to make it that DA recruit from loads of different planets but how come so many from one planet all made it into the Deathwing??

Because, back then, well...they only recruited from that one planet. Plains World was the sole source of recruits.

Seems a bit odd. I cant remember if the replacment captain of the 1st company was also from that planet or not (the one that came to take the TDA back to the chapter)

He was. Broken Knife.

And since when would the DA allow their marines to just retire on a planet like that? Very odd with todays fluff.

True enough.

The story doesn't entirely fit well with the modern background. It's still awesome. :D

I still have that story and read it from times to times. As Octavulg said, plains world was the only world from witch recruit where taken back then. Story doesn't realy fit todays fluff but it's by far my favorite.

Archived