Getting Started What do i need to buy

blaze7386

So im getting started into BA and wanted to know what all i need to buy. I already have the codex the sanguinor and astorath the grim. Im not sure what to buy and how many to buy. I have been playing nidz for a while so i could use a little help from the people that have been playing for a while

2 or 3 boxes of Death Company are a MUST. Not just for DC units, but also Assault Squads, and even Tac Squads if you want, all with a very BA theme. AND, lots of extra bits to keep a BA theme across all units you make. Then maybe a Sang Guard box - either for the Sang unit, or again for the bits to use in conversions. Also a NICE BA banner in the Sag Box.

The death company aren't necessarily for making death company units. The death company kit is excellent for mixing with tacticals and assault squads as mentioned above.

It makes our units all Blood Angelsy and pretty :D

I'd say it depends on what you want to run. If your looking for a JP army then the above posts are all correct. If you are looking for something more balanced or mechanized then the Space Marine Battleforce box is a bargin (basically giving you the scouts and five SM bodies for free in addition to the 5 ASM, 10 Tacs and 1 Rhino which nearly any BA should have a use for). Add in an Assault Box and a DC box and you have the basis of a solid BA army with plenty of bits for conversions and upgrades.

As others have said, the DC box is a must simply for kit bashing. You can make Sanguinary Priests and Honor Guard from the kit and you can make your ASM and Tac sargents really stand out by giving them fancy heads/shoulder pads/weapons and it gives you some hand flamers and infernus pistols which are handy for making combi-weapons. All in all the DC box is almost a must for any BA kitbashing you wish to do and you'll probably want one box per 1,000pts of BA if you are troop heavy.

So im getting started into BA and wanted to know what all i need to buy. I already have the codex the sanguinor and astorath the grim. Im not sure what to buy and how many to buy. I have been playing nidz for a while so i could use a little help from the people that have been playing for a while

Since you have an HQ picked out, Id reccommend the following:

Space Marine Battleforce.

Death Company Box.

Baal Predator Box.

Sanguinairy Priest.

Optional: Another DC Box and a Dread.

Between the SM Battleforce and the Death Company box set you get:

1 10 Man Tactical Squad- with Rhino.

1 10 Man Assault Squad

1 5 Man scout squad.

5 Marines to use in other projects as required.

The DC has enough bitz to make sure your Tac and Assault squads are looking pretty, without being dripping in iconography. Between these kits you should also get plenty of options on how to equip your seargents and specials, wich is always nice- in fact those extra five guys can be used to make optional special weapon sets for your tactical squad wich is great for those of us who are just no good with magnets.

The predator is just an all around good buy and adds some heavy armor to the army, wich can help to keep your rhino alive. The ability to move 18" during the scout move, or outflank, means its a palpable and agressive threat- easily one of the best buys in the codex.

And of course, a sanguinairy priest is always a nice option to have. Not to mention you might be able to trade a bit or two for a jump pack from some long time player if you want him to have one.

i also just ordered Dante too

Hes cool, and if you dont have alot of points can make for an excellent stand-in captain.

Still, my advice wasnt dependent upon your choice of HQ. Though where I to be asked, Id have said the JPing Chaplain to use as a reclussiarch, or a sanquinairy gaurd box to mod into a sweet looking captain with some bitz... though thats probly beyond what your bitz box can do.

With decent of angels this won't be as big an issue, while I don't field VV the dropping in with a Meltagun is kind of the same. Both want to get within 6" of their intended target

For fast attack I'm probably gonna go with a team of Land Speeders and a Baal Predator. A Vanguard Veteran squad is appealing, but if they scatter when using heroic intervention they are wasted.

I have only once not landed within charge range with Vanguard. and that time was actually one of their best games as they became a really nasty counter attack unit.

if this is your first miniatures game, do not order all this at once, whatever you decide on, space it out. otherwise when you open up the box you may look at everything and instead of thinking, "wow, look at all this stuff i have to work with," you could say, "wow, look at all this stuff i have to put together... where the heck am i supposed to start?"

the SM battlebox/force is a good start, it's not too daunting a project to start on, and you might get one DC box just for the bits to mix in so your whole army will look unified in the end, but you dont' want to have a whole battle company staring at you if this is your first attempt.

Fast Attack you can go for Baal Predators, or Attack Bikes, or Land Speeders. All have their uses in a blood Angels list. I currently use Attack Bikes. I know other people use several Baals. Whilst others like the Land Speeder with Missile Launchers and Multi Melta.

Edit:

And I even forgot Vanguard Veterans! There's a plethora of things you can take.

Personally, whenever I buy a new army, I will spend the MINIMUM amount of money on new boxed sets. By all means purchase at least 1 box of DC and one box of Sanguinary Guard. Then go online or on eBay and purchase yourself numerous 'bitz' bundles so you can make whatever you need. For example, for my Flesh Tearers I purchased several sets of 5 Assault Marine 'running' legs and used them on all of my marines on foot.

I would definitely recommend purchasing the Assault Marine boxed sets as they are excellent if you ever intend to run assault marines with Jump Packs. You will also definitely want to order yourself the blister pack of Meltaguns which you can find on the Games-Workshop website in the Marine conversion bits section. You will be using a lot of those.

Remember, rank and file marines all look very similar, so you can stretch out the fancy 'blinged out' components from that Death Company and Sanguinary Guard boxed set over 30-40 Marines very easily. I myself rather than building them straight out of the box, use those two boxes like a seasoning for the standard Assault, Tactical and various other marine units you can buy. I mix them in in small amounts to add flavour to each model. You can see the results in my sig.

However if you want to be handed a shopping list of what to buy, I would be wary of that. You don't know whether any of us are any good, nor do you know if our armies would be fun for you to play. So say what things you like the look of, and what things you are looking to buy, and we can advise you the cheapest and best way to go about doing so. Like the suggestion to only buy Razorback boxes instead of Rhinos for example.

Archived