How are FT vets and serg's designated?

Andrew J

Traditionally, Space Marine Sgt's had skull's on their gear somewhere, like on the helmet, or shoulderpad. However, over the years, marines are rocking skulls everywhere. What I personally am doing is the right shoulder of squad Sgt's for my Flesh Tearers are using the old 1st/2nd edition Legion of the Damned Skull Shoulderpads. I had a few metal ones in my bit box waiting for a project. There also is a very good skull shoulder in the DC box for the same thing. I'm going to also try and paint a laurel on the helmets of my vets/sgts.

BA use black shoulder pads on sergeants and squad leaders. Since Flesh Tearers already have black shoulder pads, just use red ones for the vets (reverse of BA).

That and banners. Banners are good.

p80 of the current BA codex "follow their precursor's [bA] heraldric schemes" was what I was going from, except the flesh tearer on p80 is shown with the tactical symbol on the right shoulder pad under the blood drop, which BA don't do.

Still, seargents with reverse color pads should work, and skulls for 1st company vet guys, gold helmets for HG (notice on 80 the bottom right pic of the angels vermillion guy has a yellow assault helmet a-la the BA). looking in the 3rd edition codex, a "Veteran Assault Marine" has a yellow helmet and skull with red shoulder pads, so just reverse color shoulder pads for sergeants.

For specific Flesh Tearers guidance, the second edition BA codex isn't of any help, it doesn't even mention the flesh tearers on p7. the third edition mini-codex on p14 has a flesh tearer, and the text blub is "the uniforms of the blood angels successor chapters are derived from that of the Blood Angels themselves, being predominantly red, often also using similar company badges to the Blood Angels."

Well, James Swallow's book 'Black Tide' has a Flesh Tearer who is part of Seth's honour guard wearing a gold helmet. Other than that we don't know.

They would not have Yellow/Blue or other coloured helmets for basic unit types as they are said to fulfill all roles due to their greatly reduced numbers. However that would also imply that they wouldn't have tactical arrow markings on their right shoulder either.....

It's most confusing.

I'm quite sure we don't change our helmets, and use squad marking on the right shoulder, with colored blood drop to designate company. Sgts. would have a small skull on that shoulder, or large skull as I personally am doing. With a possibility of Laurels. As for Seth's Honor Guard member with the gold helm, that really doesn't seem right, as that's what the BA do. BA don't use squad markings like the Index Astartes, we do. So the different colored helmet doesn't seem right.

Many many years ago, Sgts had a small red skull on the right shoulder on top of the squad type/number, designating them as Sgts. I am following that scheme, but not painting it red. Going with a stone skull instead.

As it stands, I haven't uncovered hard canon fact to what is used.

Archived