How do you beat...

lunchb0x

Okay...So how do you beat 30 sternguard , with 30 combi-meltas, with Vulkan , all in drop pods.

I am seriously stumped.

IF i deploy anything, my opponent drop pods right next to me, dumps out and melta/ap3 to death anything I have on the table...and lets not forget the fun of combat squading these units when they get out to hit even more targets....oh and its twin linked due to Vulkan.

So seriously , how do you beat this???

Dont ask me what I take, I wont tell you.

This is not a case of , " oh you need this or two of that" , its a case of tell me what you bring to beat that list or what tactics you would use.

I am really getting tired of playing against this and being powerless against 30+ melta guns....

Does Vulkan twin link melta? Thats so lame. Flamers and thunder hammers are ok, but melta as well is just silly. But back to the topic at hand before I start ranting about the silliness of fleeting terminators.

Keep your guys in cover as much as possible. Wouldn't the counter to a drop pod list be to corral your forces so that you could respond more quickly? Use infantry to screen your tanks. He has to try and land so far from your models so you could probably push him out of that 6" melta bonus range. Get the furious charge on him. (You like that :) )

Yeah screening just seems like a really good idea for this. He lands, shoots at your tactical squad/assault squad to ribbons with his unit, and then your veteran squads assault him the next turn. You'll probably cream him in assault, definitely if you have the furious charge. Maximize your charges and go for multi-combats. Hopefully, you can wade into an assault and come out so that you finish his guys off during his turn.

Well if you don't tell us what you field it may be a bit hard to help..

Not really, if you read what I posted immediately after that, I said tell me what YOU would take.

Moses,

He can drop in up to that 1" rule...so thats going to be some really strategic placement to get his guys out of that 6" line. Then all the AP3 shots that sternguard get eat through my troops, and then he gets to melta the now exposed vehicles.

Needless to say , I have tried that tactic and cant seem to beat it.

The only thing that Ive found helps is to make him deploy first, and take first turn...watch where his pods are and move accordingly. Other wise he just takes apart anything on the board via turn 1.

Spread your units out as much as possible. Remember you have Fats vehicles so you can redploy very quickly if need be.

Secondly remember that if he is taking Vulkan, that means those Sternguard are not Scoring units, so in 2/3 games that's going to be holding him back. It is all about weathering the 1 turn destructive capabilities of that one trick pony by reducing the number of targets you present him and then mopping up his very expensive, no scoring Vets who are just as vulnerable as cheaper tacticals.

Sorry I should have included more of what he runs...

6 speeders

2 tac squads in drop pods

3 sternguard squads in drop pods

Vulkan(en?)

Librarian

I dont know if it would matter if my stuff dumps on his board edge, i still need to jump pack/move to his troops to be effective...and que the AP3 x30 crying I am doing.

Keep all units in reserve. Outflanking flamestorm baals. Honor guard with lots of plasma guns in rhinos driving onto the table. Go for dakka units. Had the same problem when demons was invented. Build a mobile army to outrange his spam and walk it onto the board.

T.

Keep all units in reserve. Outflanking flamestorm baals. Honor guard with lots of plasma guns in rhinos driving onto the table. Go for dakka units. Had the same problem when demons was invented. Build a mobile army to outrange his spam and walk it onto the board.

T.

Hmm...actually ...i think that might work really well. Whats funny is i was looking at honour guard today for a possible option...i was remembering how much fun they where in 2nd LOLOL

Upon reflection against melta spam

astro the grim

3 land raiders or storm ravens whatever variant you like

10 death company in each

3 death company dreadnoughts blood claws + drop pods

3 man death company with jump packs as a retinue for astro

Hold everything in reserve deep-strike pop smoke if your still alive kill.

if there's any points left take tactical squads or assualt squads.

Stormravens, landspeeders, deathcompany dreadnoughts bloodclaws and drop pods.

Hurp Durp I am retarded!!! : slaps forehead, start scribbling out new list :

Spam 6 10-man tactical squads with a Plasma Cannon in each and 3 5-man Devastator Squads with 2 Plasma Cannons each. That would cost you about 1440pts. If this is a 2000 pts game use the rest to buy an HQ and some Vanguards. Deploy EVERYTHING close packed and let him come, first turn he will deploy half his drop pods and fire 15 meltagun shots. Just smile and blast him away to cinders. Even 30 Meltaguns can kill AT MOST 30 marines, and you will have over 80. But 12 Plasma Cannons will easily whoop 30 marines a turn and he has only 30.

Alternatively, take Vanguard Veterans and as many jumppack RAS as possible, start with everything in reserve. After he deploys, deepstrike veterans and eat them up, repeat with RAS as they becomes available. I don't like this tactic much though, it's more of a coin toss..

Okay, so assuming he has no fists in his SG, he's spent 1195pts on his army thus far for 31 boots on the ground. This means with troops for scoring, he has little else on the board that is a substantial spammed threat. This means that this is really what you have to focus on. Killing Sterngard is easy. They're just marines, that means you need to simply survive the first salvo. We're blood angels, we can get into range and charge before he can shoot us, simple as that.

Step 1) Bring Mech. Run 9-man assault marine squads in a rhino.

Step 2) Bring priests. Run a priest in each rhino.

Step 3) Bring Craters. This is important. One of the most overlooked rules of 40K is that when you receive a VEHICLE DESTROYED result, the player may place a crater in its place. The rulebook defines a crater as 4+ cover. We have rhino sized ones at our store, but feel free to use the awesome GW ones.

Step 4) PROFIT!

The tactics are simple. Run these on the board and let him deep strike. He WILL pop your rhino and he'll be ready to gloat about it. So what. He's getting charged. If you can't, you're getting a cover save - whether you hide behind a wreck or hide in a crater. Priests give FNP against his AP3 fire as well as any unfortunate casualties from vehicle explosions. Deep strike everything else or hold it in reserve.

Personally, playing against this army, I would back my army up with three Vindicators to keep him pinned down or to evaporate his troops. One way to annoy this army is to assure maximum redundancy. 3 Vindis, 3 Baals, 4 AS in Rhinos, 4 priests, and your HQ choice with whatever left over to back it up. Could go librarian with an HG or just dump the points into Mephiston. Either way, he's going to have to choose what to dump melta into, because once that happens, he's flamed, vaporized or getting assaulted.

Another way to annoy this player would be to play a Drop Pod army of your own, with two SG pods backed up with priests (FNP helps with the GETS HOT rolls as well). 10 combi-plasma would ruin his day. Also throw in some drop podding DC Furiosos, a DC unit and Drop Podding AS, maybe some VV for late game support and a pair of podding Librarians backed up with Plasma wielding HG. In other words, beat him at his own game. Choose what comes in and where to put it. Give him less interesting targets, then plasma him into the dirt.

Yes, actually if they are using Drop Pods, put your whole army in reserve then laugh as you drive on and massacre them all at your leisure.

This. An outflanking Baal our two with flamestorm cannons, though it's a suicide mission you'll still take more down with you than he has.

I assume you still get FNP against his SG special ammo AP3 shots, right?

I'm just brainstorming here, but does hugging the board edge work? If he places his drop poorly, it could scatter off the board or well out of range...I still prefer the reserve idea, though.

hold everything in reserve, he has to drop down half his pods on turn one.. so deny him the early advantage (if you get a choice pick to go 2nd too)

once 3 of his pods are down his ability to land anything of use is dropped to 2 squads.

take advantage of fast vindicators, and run them on from the board edge and prioritize his 1st sternguard squad (he has 2 drop 3 things so 1 squad at least, and if you have nothing on the board chances are he'll keep the other 2 in reserve longer) chances are you will lose your vindis after this, but its all about sacrifices anyway..

once his other two squads are down, drop the rest of your firepower into them until theyre effectivley crippled, then concentrate on objectives etc.

other than that drop pod down close to his board edge.. spam fear of the darkness like a man possessed and make his army run away. (2x librarians with shields in thunder shield termies.. with a priest.. then walk him off the board.. rinse and repeat.

Archived