Old school painter returns....

well i have been out of the 40k scene for quite some time and have just started to return as i have time to get my old army out again and complete the repaint job that was begun approx 5 years ago. the only problem i have is that some of the paints that i was using are no longer being made so a few substitutions have needed to be made.

the main problem im experiencing is with the new washes. it seems that they no longer give the gloss quality that the old inks did so im wondering if anyone has a way to give the new baal red wash the same final outcome as the old red ink, im thinking ill have to give the area's a coat of varnish.

is there any other changes that i should be aware of (to give a time reference the paint list was made not long after the release of the marines codex that gave chapter traits)

There is no longer anything comparably shiny with regards to inks. You can get yourself a jar of brush-on gloss coat if you like. Testors makes a good one, from what I hear. I'm a matte guy myself, so am not a big user of such things.

Foundation paints are indeed new. They're more pigment-heavy paints designed to be used as basecoats for quicker, easier coverage.

Archived