Question about painting metal models

Umoja

Im painting a dark angels company master, and i seem to have a problem with the paint chipping off the metal very easily, is there some secret to stopping this from happening?

A good varnish is the only real way to prevent this.

Gloss is harder but shiny. A good way to deal with that is to put a coat of gloss on and then a coat of purity seal or any similar matt varnish. Afterwards you should find a lot less chipping occuring.

As was said, the varnish is what keeps most of the chipping from happening.

It could be something more basic like "be sure to wash your figs before priming to remove any residual oils", or "Use multiple thin coats of paint rather than thicker layers as thicker layers tend to chip more easily", but varnishing is probably the answer.

What primer are you using?

Chaos black

There's your issue.

CB is NOT a primer. It's not even a good spray paint.

Use a proper primer. Auto primers are good, cheaper than GW sprays and cover very well, as well as giving a surface paint likes to adhere to.

After you finish your paint job, apply TWO coats of varnish.

GLOSS first.

THEN matt (to take the shine away).

The gloss gives protection.

If you’re using Games Workshop Chaos Black Primer Spray i.e -> http://www.wargamestore.com/Games-Workshop...-Can-p-837.html

Then it should be perfect, remember atmospherics do affect outcome when priming, ideally you want to be priming on a warm day. Rain = Bad

Your paints then attach itself to the primer, not the model. So the fact its metal or plastic is irrelevant.

Next up you want to be using a reputable model varnish to protect your model and stop chipping and wearing. I personally prefer matte rather than glossy. Army Painter is decent but pricey, something like -> http://www.wargamestore.com/Army-Painter-4...Can-p-2030.html

Again, as with priming you want to be applying 2 or 3 light coats...if your models will be seeing some serious ham fisted use then perhaps hit it with more varnish application.

I would second Chromedog's post word for word as varnish is only half the battle...

Also, let the gloss varnish layer dry over-night before spraying with matte/flat layer as some sprays tend not to react too well with other brands/types.

If you live in the US, I highly recommend Krylon primers and spray varnish.

As mentioned, thinner is better.

The biggest cause of chipping/flacking paint is not the "prime" coat no matter what people say. The main cause is failure to make sure the metal is free of mold release. With metal mini's I always recomend a quick scrub with some soapy water, or alchol before "priming".

Archived