Representing Luna wolves using CSM codex

jimbo1701

Hi all,

As some of my other topics suggest, I am starting a fledgling Luna Wolves army. I have about 750pts erady to build now and hope ultimately over the course of this year to expand it up to 2000pts.

I am looking to represent the army as accurately as I can to the book, so I have started re-reading the opening trilogy to get a better idea of the appearance/organisation etc of the wolves to base the army upon.

I finally decided to go with CSM for two reasons. Firstly I don't have a CSM army so it would be nice for a bit of variety. Secondly I think the options in the list fit per-heresy better than the other Marine codices, save for space wolves which were a close runner up. Here it is:

Luna wolves 10th (all squads have other equipment, icons of chaos glory and champions)

Chaos Lord (loken) with daemon weapon + mark of slaanesh (thought it fitted lokens abilities)

5 chosen + meltas + rhino

5 terminators

10 marines + rhino

10 marines + rhino

10 marines + rhino

10 raptors (reavers)

10 havocs

vindicator

predator

So, the list is mechanised for the most part but the things on my mind are this.

1. Would Luna wolves use larger squads than 10? Reason I ask is that in Horus rising Loken meets with his company sergeants and there are about 13 for 300 men, though elsewhere in the book squads are seen to operate in groups of 10.

2. Would footslogging or Drop pod based armies be better suited to the speartip philosophy as there didn't seem to be an abundance of armour in the books.

ALl comments welcomed as I want to try and have the theme of the army nailed before I start assembling too many models. CHeers.

Well, I only recently registered but I'll see what I can do ;)

I believe that, if you want to adopt a spearhead philosophy, you should not go with Drop pods or foot.

When Isstvan III is attacked it is noted that some Space Marines wonder why Drop Pods are used, when using Thunderhawks would be easier since it's more precise.

I'll have a look at the BT dex - cheers! Was thinking more about the speartip concept and I guess I had it wrong - it's moer of a philosophy (i.e. cut of the head and the body will die) of combat rather than a means of deployment. I'm sure the Luna Wolves would use mech as well so maybe I should just run with that?

You might wanna consider Obliterators but not in the usual style. Try making them into Tech adepts of Mars, still fluffy as per that alliance Horus made with them.

You should ditch that Vindicator as that vehicle wasnt used much and actually fell out of favor. (source IA vol 2.)

Also keep them Markless.

I'v done the same btw

Cheers for the info. I thought the old style vindicators were always in use but with thunderer cannons? I'll check out IA2 though so thanks. Oblits would be a good alternative to the vindi (as counts as admech) but the era I'm going for is between Ullanor and 63-19 (so before horus rising) so they wouldn't have made the pact yet. I thought icons would be good to help with Ld tests but have not added any marks except for loken to represent his skill and heroism. (s4 PW wth lots of attacks and the ability to ID and strike first sounds quite movie-marine)

Archived