Old Ork New SM

Hey B&C Gang! Extremely new to the boards here and still fairly green to 40k in general. I've been playing Orks a little with some friends and have been realizing they really dont fit the style of gaming I typically enjoy. They were really fun, and a blast to paint, but It's time I set down my Slugga and Choppa and brandish a Bolter and Chainsword! Well aside from the dramatics I was also a little curious is someone could point me in the right direction with Space Marines before I blow through a ton of Cash and decide most of it was a waste. I was mostly curious about how all the different dedicated chapters play (i.e. Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Templars, Generic SM Codex) like their strengths and weaknesses. I dont myself have a codex at my disposal at the moment and intend to do a little poking around on my own, but knowledgeable people breaking it down might prove to be an easier read than various internet articles. Anyway Thanks guys see you around the boards!

Deran.

Welcome to the B&C and the Space Marines! Here is a quick rundown of each army.

Generic SM are a jack of all trades army. Good at a lot of things, but masters of none.

Blood Angels are a fast, assualt army.

Space Wolves have good assualt and shooting capabilities.

Templars are also an assualt army, but not as fast as Blood Angels.

Dark Angels are a shooty army. They can also make armies using only terminators, or using only bikes

The Dark Angels and Templar codices are a bit outdated. Hope this helps.

Hold your horses fella, before buying the codex try searching on the B&C board. I was able to find out heaps about the differing SMs and that led me to the Crimson Fists. Try reading some background and guff from the players cause there are an awful lot of variations on a theme and some of the themes are cool to paint and play.

I've found a pretty decent amount of information at this point actually =) a lot of the chapters look really cool and fun to paint(Crimson Fist actually being one of the top, also having one of the better back stories that I've seen). The things that i've been noticing about Blood Angels that really stand out is the amount of Jetpack options is really nice, I like a really maneuverable army. Plus I like the Assault Marines as a troop is just awesome. The only things that might potentially push me into doing a Crimson Fist army would be things like when i mentioned running Blood Angels to one of my mates from the FLGS there was a little rage and I was told I'd be running pure cheese. Also the names of their characters I personally think are Cheesy (Dante, Mephiston, Sanguinis) really makes you wonder the age of the person that came up with that stuff. To me, it screams angst like a teenager mad at his mommy for not driving him to the mall. hehe. Anyway, I've still got a little time before I buy anything so i'll keep looking around. Thanks for the feedback bud.

Archived