Iron Boots vs Loki's Horde, Gregor's Doom

Arikel

So after months of harrassment on my part, my friend has finally painted enough Orks for us to have our first real game just between the two of us. My army has been and fought a few games against another friend, and we've had the chance to try a game or two using other peoples models, but this was the first in what I hope will be a long rivalry as we continue to build up our armies. We may have fluffed the rules slightly here and theer but it was enjoyable.

Going simple to start with we decided to go with an annihilation game, and we rolled Dawn of war deployment. A 3rd friend without an army yet set up the meager terrain pieces I've created, total playable surface was 3 x 4.

The Lists(might not quite have the orks down pat)

The Iron Boots: Veteran Sargent Gregor the Valiant, First Company Observer (Count as Captain, with relic blade and bolt pistol)

Tac Squad Yammoto, 10 men, plasma pistol, melta gun, missile launcher Dedicated Transport: Razorback Arikel, Stormbolter and Heavy Bolter

Tac Squad Baldy, 10 Men, flamer, missile Launcher

Loki's Horde: Warboss Loki the Drunken Git, combi-skorcha, attack squig

20 Boys w/ bigshoota and rocket launcher

5 Nobs w/ stikkbombs

6 Lootas, 1 upgraded to a mek with a custom mega blasta

1 Deffkopta, twin liked rokkit launcha

1 Kannon w/ 2 grot crew

1 Looted Tank w/ boomgun and big shoota

I got to deploy first, and combat squadded baldy's squad, attaching Gregor to Baldy and the flamer in the near center , while the missile launcher marines took up what I hoped to be a reasonably covered position close to the middle right of the table. Loki deployed his warboss attached to his 20 boys, excatly 18 inches away from my missile combat squad and looking grim and ready for battle(d'oh, mayhaps I placed too close to the middle, damn small width tables;) his nobs he placed in the middle behind some los blocking cover. No one placed anything in reserve.

Iron Boots Turn 1: My deployed squads held position while squad Yammoto's squad rolled onto the table. Again they had been combat squadded with Yammoto and the Melta Gunner in Arikel moving 6 inches onto the field and the missile boys walking on. My shooting failed abyssmally as I didn't make any nightfighting rolls, though I conveniently spotlighted my tank with it's failed searchlight roll.

Orks Turn 1: Loki moves the boss and boys 6 inches towards my missile combat squad, the nobs stay put, the rest of his army moves into the field. His boom gun dead centers Arikel, stunning the crew, while his Ork Boys get 6 for their run move! Disaster happens, and they assault Baldy`s missile squad, the mass of boys swarming over them like a tsunami. I inflict no casualties, my lone survivor breaks from combat, doesn`t get swept and runs towards my board edge 7 inches. Loki consolidates 2 inches towards Gregor and Baldy, only a few inches away from my command.

Iron Boots Turn 2: Sadly, the lone survivor of the missile squad is only 5 and 1/2 inches away from the massive horde of boys, and runs off the field of battle, his will to fight shattered by the loss of his battle brothers. I disembark Yammoto and his squad from the stunned Arikel and move towards the boys squad getting ready to charge Gregor and Baldy. Gregor the Valiant rouses his men with a litany of hate and they advance towards the oncoming boys.

Yammoto`s missile squad loads a frag missile into their weapon and launches it at the boys, it goes wide of the mark but the squad is so huge that a handful of orks still get caught by the blast and get taken out of the fight. Yammoto smiles at the damage done by his men and raises his plasma pistol, sighting in the orc warboss, and he and his squad let fly with the emperors righteous fury. The salvo of melta, plasma and bolter sheel cuts down more orcs, but still they stream forward. Now barely a stone`s throw from the ork boys, gregor unleashes his secret weapon, bolt pistols and the cleansing wrath of the flamer reducing the ork mob to less than half it`s original number.

The rabble begin to quaver, intimidated by the loss of so many of their foul xenos brethren, but the Drunken Git stands firm and beats them back into line. However, even the warboss`s fury fails under the might of the emperor`s finest as Gregor leads his fellows into combat, cutting down the greenskins without mercy as they turned to run. 3 brothers fell, too wounded to carry on, but the horde is no more.(After shooting loki`s boys were no longer fearless, I won combat by two, they broke, and I got the sweeping advance:)

Orks Turn 2: Disheartend, Loki surveyed the battle field, his remaining forces cowering behind their cover. The deffkopta, kannon and boom gun shoot at Arikel, but orkish aim goes wide of the mark. The lootas blast away at Yammoto`s personal squad, cutting down 2 marines, but the meltagun remains.

Iron Boots Turn 3: Arikel`s crew recovers, and moves forward 6 inches into position to fire at the lootas, all the while being close enough for Yammoto and his squad to clamber back into her steel shell. Gregor, Baldy and the flamer move up the right side of the board, staying out of los of the boom gun and hoping to get close enough to bust it open soon.

The krak missile fired by my remaining missile squad bounces off the looted tank. Arikel opens up on the lootas with a hail of bolterfire, and some go down but they hold firm behind their barricade.

Orks Turn 3: Loki starts moving his nobs to thr right, hoping to head off gregor`s drive up that flank. The deffkopta also started to move towards the right. The boomgun and kannon miss their targets. The lootas turn their guns on Arikel and at first it seems that her armor will hold true but then a lucky shot hits the left engine and she goes critical, nothing but smoking wreckage. Yammoto`s squad is reduced to himself and the melta gunner now.

Iron Boots Turn 4: Gregor moves forward, getting in position to assault the Boomgun. Yammoto`s squads open fire, the lootas getting reduced to just one man from their combined fire.

Orks Turn 4: Loki calls on the power of the Waagh, infusing his boys with the rage of Gork. The nobs surge towards Gregor, and the deffkopta moves to support, but misses it`s shot. The grots stop mucking about and Yammoto takes a cannon round to the chest, and the melta brother tactically retreats(Marines are far too noble to flee in terror;). The nobs continue their rush towards Gregor, and while they take down the flamer brother, Gregor and Baldy fend them off, the cowardly orks once again being cut down as they flee the wrath of a true servant of the emperor.

Iron Boots Turn 5: Yammoto`s missile launcher again misses the the old tank, while the meltagunner recovers his senses and moves back into range. A lucky shot from the melta gun takes out the last loota. Gregor assaults, but even his mighty axe fails to do naught but scratch the rust off the old Leman Russ, while Baldy`s krak grenade clatters uselessly from the hull.

Orks Turn 5: The orks return fire, and Gregor takes the brunt. His Iron Halo, crackles and snaps during the assault... and fails. The rokkit launched from the deffkopta sees Gregor to the ground, unable to fight any longer. The grots seem to have perfected their aim, and our melta brother goes down, while the boom gun fires its weapons, scattering Yammoto's missile squad into the dust, all is not yet lost, the missile launcher himself still stands.

Iron Boots turn 6: with the loss of Gregor, the light of the emperor's fortune seems to turn away from his humble servants, and their shots go wide of the mark.

Orks Turn 6: The last of the marines fall to the boom of rokkit and kannon shell, and Loki's horde, little more than a handful now, emerge victorious.

Well I hope that entertained. I know I made a few mistakes, including forgetting to run my captain in the shooting phase while getting to the boom gun, and then gambling on his iron halo to survive the rokkit to the face. Might get a few more of these up as he gets more minis painted(I can field maybe 1800ish, he's done 540 since april last year:P)

Archived