Making it work - Super tactics

biglou666

Hello brothers! ive just had an awesome idea, regarding our shooting honour guard + Dante combo.

so, lets imagine you have the models and have paid the points (like i have) For Dante, attached to a sqaud of plasma/melta gun hounor. They come down turn X, without scatters (thanks dante!) and then shoot the :) out of an expensive enemy unit, with a low invun save. They kill quite a few, thanks to decent str +ap, and thats that. But turn Y, (next turn), you are left with the problem of deciding whether to shoot or assault, with advantages and disadvantages either way.

But, this is where my clever ( or not so clever, depending on you opinion ) idea comes into play. you simply detach Dante from the squad in the moving phase, instantly making them idependent from each other. You then shoot the unit with the honour guard, and the dante the :D out of them. (yes thats right, dante is now a noun AND a verb! :HS: )

so u like my idea? do you think it works? the only problem with this is that it leaves dante open the next turn if he polishes of the enemy sqaud.

oppinions/ additions/ praise/ critisisms wanted please! biglou...

When you come down in turn X, that is your movement phase. You can only run or shoot after that. Dante can't split till the next movement phase.

For one whole turn you are standing there taking every one's fire.

Hello brothers! ive just had an awesome idea, regarding our shooting honour guard + Dante combo.

so, lets imagine you have the models and have paid the points (like i have) For Dante, attached to a sqaud of plasma/melta gun hounor. They come down turn X, without scatters (thanks dante!) and then shoot the ;) out of an expensive enemy unit, with a low invun save. They kill quite a few, thanks to decent str +ap, and thats that. But turn Y, (next turn), you are left with the problem of deciding whether to shoot or assault, with advantages and disadvantages either way.

But, this is where my clever ( or not so clever, depending on you opinion ) idea comes into play. you simply detach Dante from the squad in the moving phase, instantly making them idependent from each other. You then shoot the unit with the honour guard, and the dante the :tu: out of them. (yes thats right, dante is now a noun AND a verb! :P )

so u like my idea? do you think it works? the only problem with this is that it leaves dante open the next turn if he polishes of the enemy sqaud.

Im sorry to break your strategy but you cant separete Dante from a Honour Guard unit. The only way to get Dante free from the Honour Guard is when the Honour Guard has been killed. I dont have my Codex in front of me so i could be wrong, but in the BRB on page 48 regarding retinues, Dante is a "upgrade character" (Dont tell Dante this ;-) ) and is this till all members is killed, at which point he becomes a IC.

so, lets imagine you have the models and have paid the points (like i have) For Dante, attached to a sqaud of plasma/melta gun hounor. They come down turn X, without scatters (thanks dante!) and then shoot the ;) out of an expensive enemy unit, with a low invun save. They kill quite a few, thanks to decent str +ap, and thats that. But turn Y, (next turn), you are left with the problem of deciding whether to shoot or assault, with advantages and disadvantages either way.

But, this is where my clever ( or not so clever, depending on you opinion ) idea comes into play. you simply detach Dante from the squad in the moving phase, instantly making them idependent from each other. You then shoot the unit with the honour guard, and the dante the :tu: out of them. (yes thats right, dante is now a noun AND a verb! :P )

Im sorry to break your strategy but you cant separete Dante from a Honour Guard unit. The only way to get Dante free from the Honour Guard is when the Honour Guard has been killed. I dont have my Codex in front of me so i could be wrong, but in the BRB on page 48 regarding retinues, Dante is a "upgrade character" (Dont tell Dante this ;-) ) and is this till all members is killed, at which point he becomes a IC.

You're definitely wrong. Dante is an Independent Character, and can leave an Honor Guard in any movement phase he would like to

You're definitely wrong. Dante is an Independent Character, and can leave an Honor Guard in any movement phase he would like to

Not in the turn he deep strikes. You have to be able to move 2" away during the movement phase to separate yourself from a squad (have to leave coherency range). Can't do that during deep strike, as you can't move further during that movement phase.

You can't leave a squad during the shooting or assault phases, so even if he wants to run a different direction, he can't leave during that (or any other) shooting phase.

p48

He certainly can leave the honor guard otherwise during another movement phase. Not sure what the question is about dante's IC status.

The OP is talking about separating during the second turn (the one after deepstriking), which is fine... don't really see the insight involved in this strategy tho ;)

It's an expensive, yet quite powerful tactic.

The lack of scatter + 4 plasma + FNP = lots of dead guys.

That said, you could do it more cheaply without Dante - if you only have D6" scatter, you should be able to get everyone in a good position 5/6th of the time anyway. Perhaps a libby or chaplain might be a more econimical choice - almost as awesome, allot less points.

Hi guys! im in Egypt, lovin the sun! chillin in an internet cafe... ;)

anyways, o3gan is right, then tactic is based over TWO turns.

expensive? well, yes, but i dont choose a chaplain / librarian beacuse i want that hard hitting dante awesomeness :tu: my only regret is that as soon as you start taking wounds in the enemys next turn, you are immediatly getting rid of the plasma guns. some things are just so awesome that you have to take them though, for example, IG's Deathstrike missile! :D

Hi guys! im in Egypt, lovin the sun! chillin in an internet cafe... B)

anyways, o3gan is right, then tactic is based over TWO turns.

expensive? well, yes, but i dont choose a chaplain / librarian beacuse i want that hard hitting dante awesomeness :P my only regret is that as soon as you start taking wounds in the enemys next turn, you are immediatly getting rid of the plasma guns. some things are just so awesome that you have to take them though, for example, IG's Deathstrike missile! :)

only assault if you think there will be enough of them left to not leave you out of combat?

One word ruins this whole concept: Vindicator.

No armor saves, no FNP, and instant death.

But barring that it could be a whole lot of fun and equal a lot of suckage for your opponent.

Archived