Painting yellow

o3gan

Im painting my blood angels assault marines helmets yellow, and seems how this is my first time painting yellow armour and i have heard its most difficult to paint i thought id run my ideas by you guys and hopefully you could help

primed white (already done hope this is right)

Basecoat golden yellow

bestial brown wash

bad moon yellow highlights

That sounds good - remember, you can always try techniques out on spare bits, or even old bits of sprue. You don't need to go straight on to your minis.

Personally, I'm a big fan of just painting stuff the colour you want, it's probably because I'm an Ops manager and just prefer simple ways that work.

If you want it yellow, paint yellow on top of white, then add more yellow if it's not yellow enough.

If you want it white, paint it white, then add a bit more white if necessary.

I can't the hang of this starting from a dark brown basecoat for a white or yellow finish.

That sounds good - remember, you can always try techniques out on spare bits, or even old bits of sprue. You don't need to go straight on to your minis.

Personally, I'm a big fan of just painting stuff the colour you want, it's probably because I'm an Ops manager and just prefer simple ways that work.

If you want it yellow, paint yellow on top of white, then add more yellow if it's not yellow enough.

If you want it white, paint it white, then add a bit more white if necessary.

I can't the hang of this starting from a dark brown basecoat for a white or yellow finish.

so do you not wash or highlight?

good idea trying it on spare bits cant believe i didnt think of it, im sure i have a spare head in my bits box to try it on =)

I wouldn't use a wash to add shadows to the yellow. Instead I would either use a very good (thin) liner brush to add yellow-brown to the areas you want to be shaded OR start with a slightly darker yellow (yellow with just a "dot" of brown) as the main color and then straight yellow (or yellow with a "dot" of white) for a highlight. Yellow is one of those colors that doesn't really need a shade to look cool.

-Dan

Archived