Two psychic powers a game turn without being an epistolary?

Chairman_woo

Ok so some of our powers can go off during either players turn (unleash rage & shield spring to mind), and the main rule book refers to a turn as meaning "player turn" unless specificaly stated otherwize. Further to this a space marine librarian like any psyker can cast one power per turn unless upgraded to an epistolary, so.......

Could I then use a suitable power in my turn, lets say blood lance. And then during my opponents turn cast a power like shield, or if I had used rage in my turn instead could I then cast it again? (we are assuming I went first but presumably this would work in reverse also if it works at all)

I dont have my books to hand at the mo as I'm at work so if ive made some very basic error here I do appologise, the idea just came to me while reading another thread and I couldent work out exactly which way the rules would go. Figure if I'm not just being stupid it could make for an interesting discussion at any rate.

Edit: Moreover would the epistolary upgrade then allow you to potentially get 4 powers off a game turn?

then what would be the point in upgrading to an epistolary since you cant use the same power twice in one turn.

this would be awsome...but doesnt really sound right

So that you can Instant Kill high toughness CC opponents. Example: Use Sanguine Sword when in combat with a wraithlord and if you fail to kill from number of wounds you could still use the force weapon.

-Samirus

then what would be the point in upgrading to an epistolary since you cant use the same power twice in one turn.

this would be awsome...but doesnt really sound right

If its twice in one player turn (which the BRB suggests it is) then you can infact cast the same power twice just so long as its not during the same "player turn" e.g. casting rage in both mine and my opponents assault phases.

or unleash rage/sang sword combo, or wings/ss or ur, or spear/ss... Depending on the powers you have and what the situation is, that extra power can make all the difference.

Absoluteley if I dont turn out to be completeley wrong there should be some very nice combo's possible I'd like to think. Lance and shield on a standard codicer seems like it would work very well on the cheap :)

...Sunova! So where in the BRB does it state "turn" usually means "Player Turn" unless specified? I even had one of the redshirts at my local GW claim it was until my next player turn when I played a game against him.

...Sunova! So where in the BRB does it state "turn" usually means "Player Turn" unless specified? I even had one of the redshirts at my local GW claim it was until my next player turn when I played a game against him.

I can't remember the exact page, as my book is not with me on vacation, but you should be able to more or less find it somewhere on the psykers page. Should be a little bit right across from the Force Weapons box on the right.

Something like 'unless specified otherwise, a psyker may use a power once per player turn'. Epistolary would be considered specified otherwise, making it two per player turn.

Also, somewhere in that BRB (or maybe in the FAQ) its stated that any mention of "turn" means "player turn" unless explicitly stated otherwise. Again, no book on me now... but I'm somewhat confident you can find those with a little digging.

Same thing came up in the Mephiston is too powerful thread.

Page 9 of the rule book. Turn always means player turn, if it is supposed to mean game turn it will say that.

I don't recall the exact page, but any turn rule refers to player turn.

A regular librarian can use 1 power in his turn, one in his opponents (of course, only certain powers are legal in opponents turn, like Shield, Unleash Rage, Sanguine Sword, Force Weapon as examples)

An episoltary can use 2 in his turn, 2 in opponents.

Mephiston can use 3 in his turn, 3 in opponents.

The Librarian entry in the BA codex clearly spells this out. There is no need for the rulebook entry.

And yes an Epistolary could potentially cast 4 powers per game turn, like Rage and Sword in every assault phase.

A related question - can an Epistolary use the same psychic power twice if it is not a shooting attack? One could argue that the wording "can use up to two psychic powers" imply two different psychic powers. On the other hand, Ahriman have been FAQ:ed to be able to cast the same power multiple times unless it is a shooting attack. His wording is slightly different, though.

Ok so some of our powers can go off during either players turn (unleash rage & shield spring to mind), and the main rule book refers to a turn as meaning "player turn" unless specificaly stated otherwize. Further to this a space marine librarian like any psyker can cast one power per turn unless upgraded to an epistolary, so.......

Could I then use a suitable power in my turn, lets say blood lance. And then during my opponents turn cast a power like shield, or if I had used rage in my turn instead could I then cast it again? (we are assuming I went first but presumably this would work in reverse also if it works at all)

I dont have my books to hand at the mo as I'm at work so if ive made some very basic error here I do appologise, the idea just came to me while reading another thread and I couldent work out exactly which way the rules would go. Figure if I'm not just being stupid it could make for an interesting discussion at any rate.

Edit: Moreover would the epistolary upgrade then allow you to potentially get 4 powers off a game turn?

you should meet rulebook.

No, Fear is a shooting attack, so it can not be used more than once in a turn.

Cheers James, figured as much... (I hate second guessing myself... :rolleyes: )

Well you could if it was ASSAULT 2 ;)

No, not even then. You'd shoot twice, but you can't cast it twice.

Archived