The colours of the Dark Angels

Gillyfish

I have often pondered the choice of colours for the various Dark Angels' units, particularly the timing of their change from black to green armour and the retention of black armour for the Ravenwing. The change in the background for the Deathwing (reducing the Plains World incident to allegory) has also set my thoughts running about precisely why the Deathwing wear white/bone - it clearly has some significance to the Dark Angels, particularly if the Plains World incident did not take place. So, this thread is about suggesting some ideas that make some sense 'in-universe'. It's not me suggesting that I'm right(!), but is more about what you think the various colours and changes of colours might mean in the context of the Dark Angels' history and background. Please feel free to discuss, refine, disagree or put forward your own suggestions.

Here are some thoughts:

Battle companies and Deathwing:

It is a well known fact that the Dark Angels Legion once wore black armour and that some time after the Heresy the colour they wore changed to green. But when did this change take place? One interpretation (which may also explain the lack of formal explanation provided by the modern-day Chapter) is that the change dates back to Dark Angels' most desperate and darkest hour - the Fall. Upon approach to Caliban, the loyal Dark Angels feet was fired upon by the garrison of their homeworld. An assault was ordered and the scene was set for brother to fight brother. In anticipation of the problems involved in fighting against soldiers wearing the same livery, the Lion, ever the pragmatist, ordered that the assault force should repaint as much of their armour as possible in green to differentiate themselves from the garrison. Following the battle, the survivors had to come to terms with the betrayal of their brothers. The Lion's personal bodyguard and the veterans of the Chapter would see the most desperate fighting, going into the heart of the Tower of Angels with the aim of bringing Luthor himself to heel. The marines well knew the defensive capabilities of the fortress and that few of them, if any, would return. They would be dead men walking, like the ghosts of Calibanite and Terran legend. To mark this fact, they repainted their armour white, the colour of bone, the colour of death, and prepared themselves to meet their end. Thus were the origins of the Deathwing laid down. Against the odds, some of these marines survived. They subsequently maintained the tradition of keeping their armour white as they were often deployed into the heaviest fighting.

Following the battle and the destruction of Caliban, many marines found it difficult to come to terms with the enormity of the situation; the betrayal by their brethren and the loss of their primarch and homeworld. Sensing the spiritual turmoil of the Legion, the senior marines agreed that their brethren needed a sign that the Legion had moved beyond the events of the Fall and could continue. It was agreed that the green armour would be retained to mark the loyalty of the survivors to the Lion and the Imperium and to commemorate the verdant green forests of Caliban that had been lost. It was hoped that this would raise the spirits of the remaining Dark Angels and convince them that they could move beyond the events of the betrayal. A conscious break with the past had been made and the Dark Angels hoped to move on.

The Ravenwing:

Following the Fall, the Dark Angels were initially unaware of the survival of the Fallen (as their renegade brethren came to be known). Gradually, reports reached them of black-clad marines bearing Dark Angel iconography appearing on different worlds across the length and breadth of the Imperium. These rumours were kept from the majority of the marines, as to acknowledge the continued existence of the traitors might cast many members of the Chapter back into despair. Clearly, it was imperative that these reports of survivors be corroborated, but getting close enough to identify, let alone capture one of these marines was difficult. And so the Inner Circle turned to subterfuge. A number of marines were approached whose spiritual purity was unquestioned. They would be deployed as scouts, to observe the traitors and report back on their whereabouts. Crucially, they could not afford to be clearly identified as Dark Angels by the Fallen, so these marines adopted the original colours of the Legion, the aim being to lull any traitor into a false sense of security long enough for the marines to get close and for the veterans to be called down to capture them. This would be an unenviable task, but a necessary one. These marines were re-named the Ravenwing in honour of the original knights who had sallied forth to hunt the Chaotic beasts of Caliban. In time, as the existence of the Fallen was confirmed, the Ravenwing grew. When the call came to break up the Legions, the Ravenwing were formalised as an organisation within the new Chapters and given a new insignia - clearly it would not do for them to appear the same as the traitors the Legion had once fought.

What do you think? It's a different version of events to that we have come to know, but could explain some of the current inconsistencies in the background. I'd love to hear your views or alternative theories!

We do know that the Lion did order the armor change to green, but it was before the civil unrest. In "Tales of Heresy", there is a discussion between Astellon and a chapter master who is from the newly raised caliban chapters who has green markings, Where Astellon directly asks him why he has the green.

Now the Ravenwing was originally formed in the order as mounted scouts. After the Emperors arrival they were brought into the legion. At that time they wore the green armor for camo purposes on Caliban. Your interpretation on color change may be close to the why I believe.

We do know that the Lion did order the armor change to green, but it was before the civil unrest. In "Tales of Heresy", there is a discussion between Astellon and a chapter master who is from the newly raised caliban chapters who has green markings, Where Astellon directly asks him why he has the green

Very true and something I had considered. However, I was under the impression that it was only some of the armour that was green and it was heraldry rather than entirely green. that said, it's been a while since I read it, so perhaps I should double-check!

We do know that the Lion did order the armor change to green, but it was before the civil unrest. In "Tales of Heresy", there is a discussion between Astellon and a chapter master who is from the newly raised caliban chapters who has green markings, Where Astellon directly asks him why he has the green

Very true and something I had considered. However, I was under the impression that it was only some of the armour that was green and it was heraldry rather than entirely green. that said, it's been a while since I read it, so perhaps I should double-check!

I believe that is correct, he displayed one or two shoulders in green which included heraldry that was not part of the standard DA outfit that Astelen was used to. And, on top of that, Chapter Master Belath was of the Order of the Raven's Wing.

I believe it was also noted in Space Hulk that it was the Plains World incident that marked the Deathwing changing from black (presumably) to bone white. It was apparently a tradition of the Plains World tribes of which the DW recruited from to cover their bodies in ash in such times of war and in respect of the dead.

I do like you reasonings though, especially the reason for Ravenwing to wear black.

And, on top of that, Chapter Master Belath was of the Order of the Raven's Wing.

Good point, so perhaps I should refine my suggested interpretation? I shall have a think about that. Maybe the events I have suggested are the start of the Ravenwing being explicitly associated with fast vehicles and scouting rather than the start of the Ravenwing?

I believe it was also noted in Space Hulk that it was the Plains World incident that marked the Deathwing changing from black (presumably) to bone white. It was apparently a tradition of the Plains World tribes of which the DW recruited from to cover their bodies in ash in such times of war and in respect of the dead.

Yes, the Deathwing supplement had the story of the Plains World incident. I have a copy and it's a very good story. The reason that I have chosen to treat it as allegory in my interpretation is that that is how it is portrayed in the latest Dark Angels' Codex. It's basically an allegory for the Fall, so I was wondering whether an alternative interpretation would be appropriate. Having the change in colour associated with the events of the Fall would mean that the real story could not be given to rank and file Dark Angels, so a cover story (Plains World) would ahve to be invented which, nevertheless, hints at the real truth.

Thank you both for your comments - I'm glad its stirring up some discussion. Do you think what I have written is untenable given the information we have, or do you think it might be an acceptable interpretation with a few tweaks?

It's basically an allegory for the Fall, so I was wondering whether an alternative interpretation would be appropriate. Having the change in colour associated with the events of the Fall would mean that the real story could not be given to rank and file Dark Angels, so a cover story (Plains World) would ahve to be invented which, nevertheless, hints at the real truth.

Perfect. Dark Angels are like onions, their lies have many layers. Seriously, that's perfect. Perhaps the Plains Word incident was even allowed to happen.

Like I said before, I like your interpretations. Per "Call of the Lion", Belath said the green and the heraldry was actually allowed (or maybe even suggested, can't remember) by the Lion himself. It makes perfect sense, that he would be on board to change the color completely to dark green if the need had arisen - ie. to differentiate from their fallen brothers.

Like you said, that plays right into tactical mind of El'Jonson, whereas another Primarch in the same situation, say Angron, might simply have said "we'll change their damn armor color for them, by drowning them in their own blood" or the always covert Alpharius might simply see their armor being the same as an advantage to blend in.

And the Ravenwing seems mostly good. If someone outside the DA sees a black power-armor clad marine with DA icons, it could easily be written off as perhaps one of the Ravenwing, who, given their purpose, most likely would be near Fallen anyway. It also is the exact opposite for your reasoning of the battle companies going with dark green, instead of wanting to stand out from their query, they want to blend in - more layers. And yes, a slight tweak, saying something like that the Order of the Raven's Wing existed pre-heresy but because of their affinities toward fast recon were best suited to scout for Fallen would help that part. The only problem is that the Ravenwing are not said to know what exactly it is they hunt. They are not in the inner circle, though sometimes I feel it would make sense that they were.

It stands to reason that Ravenwing will be privy to at least some of the info about the Fallen. Considering how closely they work with the Deathwing. How much, your guess is as good as mine. But considering that they encircle said target, cut off escape and call in the Termies.

Thank you both for the suggestions. Much appreciated!

The only problem is that the Ravenwing are not said to know what exactly it is they hunt. They are not in the inner circle, though sometimes I feel it would make sense that they were.

For the Ravenwing in the 41st Millennium that is certainly the case. But back in the years after the Fall many Dark Angels would still know about this so I figured that the first members of the post-heresy Ravenwing would know precisely what they were doing.

There is actually an inconsistency in the logic of the DA after the Fall in that the survivors would know about it - so every member of the Legion knows what happened. Presumably there has to be a policy from the Chapter's officers to not speak about the events of the Fall so new recruits never find out and can never be tempted themselves. That would make the post-heresy DA an uncomfortable place to be as a recruit I would have thought! I shall try to amend the original text as suggested.

Does anyone have any further thoughts or theories?

I am a little confused. Plains World? This is the planet that was overun with Genestealers correct? So the DW repainted their armour out of respect. So did this happen before or after the Fall? The reason I ask, is if it has happened after the fall, anyone in DW wouldn't have been from Plains World but who are trusted with the knowladge of the Fallen. So I am assuming the Bone White Terminator colour happened before the Fall?

I am a little confused. Plains World? This is the planet that was overun with Genestealers correct? So the DW repainted their armour out of respect. So did this happen before or after the Fall? The reason I ask, is if it has happened after the fall, anyone in DW wouldn't have been from Plains World but who are trusted with the knowladge of the Fallen. So I am assuming the Bone White Terminator colour happened before the Fall?

I believe it was a world they recruited from heavily after the fall. Like Pacina V. They recruit about every generation from these primitive worlds if I remember some odd fluff right. Which would kinda leave the plains story intact. From newer writings. It's been a long while since I read that story.

Gillyfish - I love your interpretations of the three wings divergence in colour. I always found it a little too arbitrary and would definately sign up to your fluff!

I however would retain the Deathwing Plans World story as something that happpens a few hundred years after the Heresy incidents as it seems a little too whimsical for the attacking loyalists to be like - OK were gonna be green, oh and now let us veterans be white - Its a citadel colours nightmare and might even start to look like Salamanders :) lol.

It would not uneccessarly narrow the 40k universe in my eyes if you kept the 2 colour changes seperate. So for my money.

Blackwing --> Greenwing : As you suggest to differentiate the traitors from the attacking rebels (31stK)

Greenwing --> Ravenwing : As you suggest as subterfuge corps (Few decades after Heresy)

Greenwing --> Deathwing : PLains people stories (few hundred - few thousand years after 31stK)

And think of all th range of Dark Angels you could assemble just with this ;)

Archived