Justify Sanguinary guard to me

Demoulius

Its too many points.

Going to make any list short of 2500 very much a one trick pony.

If your unit makes it to turn 4 you have probably won.

If it doesn't, you probably lost.

This is a bit...minimalist. The same could be said about almost every unit in 40k except for basic troops.

As one guy said, these are great force multipliers. Just knowing a squad of str 5, I5 (charging), power weapon wielding guys are coming your way makes anyone a little scared.

But as many pointed out, they really suck. Lack of invun, low number of attacks w/o banner, lack of FC base, you need to buy PF's/Infernus pistols to make em effective... and they're only 5 men strong. If they could be brought up to 10 man squads, yes, they'd rock. i'd probably always run 1. But a 5 man squad of jump guys that need a 75 point priest to be effective, and typically you kit them to be 220+ points for the squad... meaning its around 300 points to make the squad useful... hell no. Its not worth it. I can almost get 2 furiosos w/ drop pods for that price, or a fully kitted out RAS + priest for 10 points more.

They're fun to play with though! They're flying termis pretty much. Put em in a stormraven and blow up stuff. They eat MC's and MEQ's if given a priest!

Also just a quick aside, termies did have a 5+ invul in 3rd. edition. check page 35 of the 3rd. edition codex if you don't believe me. Then rumage through the 3rd ed. dex and bask in the infinate glory of 35+pts average cheaper (geared) squads in 5th ed.

Yup they did... though they didn't have the 3+ invul from Storm shields... I believe it was 4+ and only in CC.

You have a later print - this was a retcon to make Termies survivable now that PW negated their save, instead of forcing them to roll a 5 or 6 on 2D6!!

I played them a fwe times and they always were a big disappointment.

IMO you can equipp them and support them with everything you want (give them FNP, a banner, infernuspistols) but all of this is for nothing if you face a few AP1/2 weapons.

Te Sanguinary guard is a high priority target and weather gets shot down on their way to the enemy or in the turn they come in as shock troops and are unable to assault. I will leave them out next time and deploy a vanguard squad.

A unit of Sang Guard, lead by Dante with a Librarian, a Priest and a Chaplain put out 29 str 5 power weapon attacks, 5 str 10 power/force weapon attacks and 8 str 9 attacks - re-rolling misses on the charge.

Pretty dern good.

A unit of Sang Guard, lead by Dante with a Librarian, a Priest and a Chaplain put out 29 str 5 power weapon attacks, 5 str 10 power/force weapon attacks and 8 str 9 attacks - re-rolling misses on the charge.

Pretty dern good.

And costs a minimum of 700 points!

Vanguard are great as well. Each unit has its own strengths.

0b :)

Vanguard became my favorite of our jumpy Veteran options after some testing. Mainly due to being the only one that can go above 5 models.

Also just a quick aside, termies did have a 5+ invul in 3rd. edition. check page 35 of the 3rd. edition codex if you don't believe me. Then rumage through the 3rd ed. dex and bask in the infinate glory of 35+pts average cheaper (geared) squads in 5th ed.

Yup they did... though they didn't have the 3+ invul from Storm shields... I believe it was 4+ and only in CC.

You have a later print - this was a retcon to make Termies survivable now that PW negated their save, instead of forcing them to roll a 5 or 6 on 2D6!!

Hmm not to hijack this thread but I just wanted to clarify...

In 3rd edition, terminators had a 2+ armour save and 5+ invulnerable save... Storm Shields only gave a 4+ invulnerable, in close-combat, but then only against 1 opponent... so if 2 powerfists hit you it's all over.

The original terminators didn't have an invulnerable at all; I don't recall exactly when but it was before 3rd ed that they were given the invulnerable.

-- On topic:

I've had great success with my Sanguinary Guard... I usually don't even bother taking the banner in my 1750 list. One of the guys at my club likes to chase them around with his landraider full of LC terminators... he eventually assaults and kills them, but I've got him chasing tail now lol, and incidentally distracting his big point unit...

Hmm not to hijack this thread but I just wanted to clarify...

In 3rd edition, terminators had a 2+ armour save and 5+ invulnerable save... Storm Shields only gave a 4+ invulnerable, in close-combat, but then only against 1 opponent... so if 2 powerfists hit you it's all over.

The original terminators didn't have an invulnerable at all; I don't recall exactly when but it was before 3rd ed that they were given the invulnerable.

-- On topic:

I've had great success with my Sanguinary Guard... I usually don't even bother taking the banner in my 1750 list. One of the guys at my club likes to chase them around with his landraider full of LC terminators... he eventually assaults and kills them, but I've got him chasing tail now lol, and incidentally distracting his big point unit...

I started playing in third. Terminators did not have an invul when I started, it was added about a year after Codex Armageddon. It was early in 3rd edition, but it was 3rd edition when Terminators added the invul. My old 3rd edition marine codex does not include the invul.

I started playing in third. Terminators did not have an invul when I started, it was added about a year after Codex Armageddon. It was early in 3rd edition, but it was 3rd edition when Terminators added the invul. My old 3rd edition marine codex does not include the invul.

Hah mine doesn't have it either - doh... shoulda looked before I posted. I just remember it always being there in 3rd I guess; the first terminators I used were in 2nd ed and they definitely didn't have it. But anyway the storm shield was as noted...

I use an all sanguinary guard list at 2000pts

Dante 225

Librarian 125

Chaplain w/ meltabombs 130

4 priests w/ PW 360

Squad w/ 5 infernus pistols and chapter banner 280

Squad w/ 3 plasma pistols 230

Squad w/ 3 plasma pistols 230

Squad w/ Power Fist 210

Squad w/ Power Fist 210

I've faced almost every race in the game, minus dark eldar and necrons. Nothing any of my opponents have is the death of my army.

Are there units that can kill my squads? Yes.

Simple answer...kill the dangerous stuff first.

With the maneuverability of this army you should have no problem dictating the charges and keeping your opponent on the back foot.

reason for edit: grammar

Squad w/ 5 infernus pistols and chapter banner

Squad w/ 3 plasma pistols

Squad w/ Power fist

Squad w/ Power fist

Where do you get all the arms for this? and it sounds like im the only one that loves the wings on these guys, is this true?

u a all sanguinary guard list at 2000pts

Dante

Librarian

Chaplain

4 priests w/ PW

Squad w/ Power fist

Squad w/ Power fist

Man, this almost makes me want to do an all SG force. That's some yummy golden goodness (I would dread having to paint those wings though).

Where do you get all the arms for this? and it sounds like im the only one that loves the wings on these guys, is this true?

5 squads provided 5 Infernus pistols and 5 plasma pistols. However, most people have tons of regular pistols and if they happened to have bought the DC box, there is one in that too.

u a all sanguinary guard list at 2000pts

Dante

Librarian

Chaplain

4 priests w/ PW

Squad w/ Power fist

Squad w/ Power fist

Your list is more than 2250pts.

Your list is more than 2250pts.

I don't make it over 2250 but it certainly is more than the 2000 limit.

I assumed the ICs in his list come with jump packs.

2255pts with JPs

2105 without JPs

Archived