Astorath the Grim - help!

FF151

hi Guys,

i don't play Blood angels but I am painting Astorath for him.

here is an example of my latest work for another friend.

My question is his wings. The GW website shows his wings being black, I don't have the codex so I can't really read up on him. Fluffwise, are his wings supposed to be black for a reason? Can I paint them black and shade them to silver tips? gold tips? Any help would be appreciated, I want to "knock this model out of the park".

Cat/

The wings are purely ornamental, meant to show that he is an "angel" in the BA hq, but they are black because that was the effect they wanted: he is the one who goes around and finishes the DC final duty, a job that is not wanted but highly respected. Artistic liberties are part of what makes WH40k WH40k. :)

I dont think his wings would be like white or shiny tipped because that does not really fit his caracter in my mind. He is a very morbid caracter so to put shiney wings on him would look kind of wierd. but you can do what ever you want to him as long as your friend aproves. just remember he's supposed to be a caracter that shows were the blood angels flaw is more prevalent.

you can paint the wings really dark red.. or black with dark red high lights.. as other said his job is to go around and kill DC's... not just in BA but in all of BA's successor's chapters.. so he's not a happy cheery dude.. so bright colors are 'bad' fluff wise... whatever colors should be dark menacing... things associated w/ death... which differ from cultures to cultures soo.. depends on yours i guess...

I've given Astorath's wings to Dante and I'm using an old Necromunda Spyrer set of wings on Astorath. They are more bat-like with a metallic look to them which I think looks more effective on Astorath than feathery wings.

Archived