prometheus land raider

lewiss111

i already have a rather sizeable force of 1st company dark angels, and i would like to expand its size, by adding another land raider variant.

staring at imperial armour v2 right now, the prometheus seems really cool, but quite expensive points wise compared to a crusader.

for people who don't know its rules, it is identical to the godhammer pattern, but it has no front mounted heavy bolter, but two sponsons of 2 tl heavy bolters with a neat special rule which grants -1 cover save when shooting with its weapons.

its 270 points and an elites choice, which means it fits perfectly in dark angels, as you only really use heavy support and troops.

i am just struggling to convince myself if it is worthwhile for my deathwing horde.

does anyone use the prometheus in games, and is it as useful as it sounds? i love the model, but compared to the crusader, it seems obsolete in weaponry and transport capacity. please help!!!

my army already consists of the following, so it may help you decide whether it fits in. i am not the most insane gamer, so feel free to correct the list if anything is out of place :

belial w. tlc

2 termi w. tss, 2 w. tlc, 1 w. cf & hf- squad has company banner

2 termi w. tss, 2 w. tlc, 1 w. cf & hf

3 termi w. sb & pf , 1 w. ps & sb, 1 w. ac & cf

1 godhammer

1 crusader

2 venerable dreadnoughts in drop pod one with plas cannon and 1 with las cannon

The Prometheus used to have a bonus to reserve rolls - hence the points cost. Then FW changed it for little or no apparent reason.

Hence why it seems kinda redundant with the Crusader.

i was thinking to have along the lines of one godhammer, one crusader and one prometheus.

mainly using the crusader for assault geared up with belial(large transport capacity)

godhammer empty to tankhunt

prometheus to outflank with other assault squad

i think it would be hard hitting, but correct me if i'm wrong, everything seems useful and not wasted points

I have not used the Prometheus in-game yet, but I am converting one to act as a "bodyguard" for a Terminus Ultra in games of Apocalypse.

I think that the Prometheus gets unfairly compared to the Crusader, where in 5th ed. they are two pretty different tanks.

True, they both slaughter infantry, but I feel that is where the similarities end. The Heavy Bolters are not defensive weapons, unlike the Hurricane Bolters, so to get the most out of it's shooting the Prometheus has to stay still. The Crusader is like a Marine with a Storm Bolter and Meltabombs, who wants to move up and stick it's meltabombs (for the Crusader, a lethal Terminator squad) onto a big target; and the Prometheus is like a Marine with a Heavy Bolter, who wants to stay still and shoot at range. The Prometheus is a long-range, anti-infantry tank, and the Crusader is a short-range anti-infantry tank that can carry a lot.

The Crusader must start the turn within 18" of it's target to use it's maximum firepower, where the Prometheus only has to be within 36". At this range, they both get 12 shots from their sponson guns, but the Prometheus' weapons have a better Str and AP, making the Prometheus more powerful against medium infantry in cover (Fire Warriors, 'Ard Boyz, Dire Avengers, Sniper Scouts, Veteran Guardsmen, etc.). One major advantage of this range is that the Prometheus does not have to get close to the enemy to open fire, making it more resistant to melta and other short-ranged anti-Land Raider weapons. The Prometheus can also be effective against mechanised infantry, as you can destroy the opponent's transport with another unit and unleash the Prometheus against the contents.

If you want a tank that is basically a dedicated anti-infantry version of the standard LasRaider, then the Prometheus is for you, but if you want a transport with quite a bit of firepower, then I would get another Crusader and magnetise it so if/when you get Redeemers in your next codex then you can use it as that.

Outflank is not mentioned at all in the most recent version of the rules for the Prometheus (in the IA 2 Rules Update v. 1.3, on the Forge World website in the Downloads section), and therefore I would not use the Prometheus to Outflank.

thanks for the replies!

i am flying out to victoria in canada for 2 weeks, so I will 'pop' in to the games workshop there for opinions on the prometheus.

i think i am gonna settle with the prometheus, since its a really cool tank hands down, and deathwing can get boring by having lots of the same units

Archived