Need help on custom banners

I am wanting to make custom banners for my space marines. I dont want to make the type that are viewed when looking at the mini from the front, i.e the banner is going left to right. Rather I want to make banners that are visible from the side, i.e the banner is going front to back. Understand what I mean? I have been trying for a while now to find pictures or examples and I cant find one. Has anyone ever seen this done on a space marine army before? Are there any pictures pr examples out there of how this is done? I would love some direction or feed back!

Thanks

Ashton

I did something similar a while back (like 1994ish). I was going to give my marines an asian feel, power katanas, sashimono style banners for the characters.

I converted the standard bearer like so:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/4832815142_be704da428_b.jpg

The banner is just printed out on an ink jet.

There are also a fair few Warhammer Fantasy banners set up to be viewed from the side - mainly the Empire ones. And as stated above, the old Ragnar had a couple of banner poles for flags from his backpack without a cross-piece. Though Why you would NOT want to proclaim your presence as an instrument of the Emperor's vengeance using a suitable banenr is beyond me....

What I did (no pics, I screwed up the paintjob :P ) is cut out the banner I wanted from thin plasticard (or the plastic from a blister pack). This gives you options to shape and size it to your heart's content. After you got the banner you like, keep it near a heat source. I used a candle, but if you don't have an understanding wife like I do that kinda stuff can get you kicked out of the house rather fast :tu: ... A heat gun or hair dryer would probably also work without less risc involved. The heat will make the plastic go soft, allowing you to shape it like the wind is playing with it. When you got the shape you like, let it cool of and superglue it to a banner pole of your liking, prime it and paint it.

Archived