fallen scheme

Brother Turok

Hello brothers,

So I have been making a fallen army over the last three years and have been stuck on the color scheme. I have been making them out of chaos marines since I already have 10k pts of DA, but I figured I'd post this topic in this forum since we are the experts on the fallen...

To start, they are all black of course. However, I know people argue over pre-heresy colors of the chapter symbol. Should I paint them red like what used to be official pre-heresy/heresy, or white (I have already done a few up with red and it looks pretty cool)? If you go to the lexicanum you wil lfind art of the red sword and models with the white sword!

Also, I have been using chaos marines and termies to represent the fallen since I started this army before the whole 'pre-heresy' modelling craze started. I thought at the time that the chaos-y trim gave them a more 'heresy look', which is why I didn't file it all off. So far I have been picking out the trim in boltgun metal and giving it a super dark wash of black. Some people say this is too close to black legion, but arent black legion supposed to be black and gold? Should I paint them all black and just highlight gray or should I pick out the trim in boltgun metal?

I found some art once five years ago of a fallen marine that was black with silver chaos-y trim that was silver with bone colored robes. If I can find that pic I will post it here later tonight.

Thanks all for your input.

Glancing through the Chaos Marines codex, they have a picture of an "unknown" chaos marine that are robed (colored black) but green power armor. Looks like Fallen to me, but I haven't read text associated with the picture.

I believe that cypher and the few marines with him are the only ones with green armour. They repainted their armour to trick others in the imperium, bash the DA, or something like that. Otherwise besides cypher and his coherts I know fallen don't look like the one in the codex...

Thanks however for the quick answer!

ANy other opinions on this?

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b466/warhammer40k_da/fallen/a1cd.jpg

Here's the picture I found of pre-heresy angels. I found this 5 years ago. They almost look chaos-ish, just look at the silver trim, spikes and arrows on armor trim, etc. And they have red swords ;p

So based off of this should I be using chaos bits with spikes and everything or should I be using normal marines?

Comments?

I've been musing over a Fallen squad for my army, too. Or, dare I say it, a small Fallen army in its entirety.

The problem I've got is that the Dark Angels iconography looks awesome - especially done in red - and it'll make the models look brilliant with Dark Angel veteran bitz and Forge World door gubbinz.

But I've read (at least, I'm sure I have...) that the Fallen don't show their iconography - and really, if they did, they'd hardly be much of a secret.

So... I'm not sure which way to go.

I've been musing over a Fallen squad for my army, too. Or, dare I say it, a small Fallen army in its entirety.

The problem I've got is that the Dark Angels iconography looks awesome - especially done in red - and it'll make the models look brilliant with Dark Angel veteran bitz and Forge World door gubbinz.

But I've read (at least, I'm sure I have...) that the Fallen don't show their iconography - and really, if they did, they'd hardly be much of a secret.

Why wouldn't the Fallen show their iconography? What do they care if it makes the loyalist Dark Angels look bad?

I'm not sure why the Fallen wouldn't show their iconography. I haven't read any particular fluff that properly explains the situation, not that I've read every tidbit out there.

Perhaps the Fallen feel their iconography would make them easily traceable to the Dark Angels. Not sure why this matters, since there are 1000 chapters and various renegades whose heraldry probably makes not one iota of recognition to folks in the Imperium.

I'm not sure, but does anyone know if Cipher has DA iconography?

I always just assumed that Fallen did whatever they wanted, my character I've been working on totally flosses his DA bling. I think that people would still be attached to their colors and iconography...

I don't know just some thoughts.

Cheers

Why wouldn't the Fallen show their iconography? What do they care if it makes the loyalist Dark Angels look bad?

That's kind of my point.

If they did show it, they wouldn't be a secret. But they are a secret, and what little stuff exists about them visually has nothing in the way of visible iconography.

So... I don't get it.

That's kind of my point.

If they did show it, they wouldn't be a secret. But they are a secret, and what little stuff exists about them visually has nothing in the way of visible iconography.

So... I don't get it.

I believe the people do see it the Fallen iconography. After the battle though, the DA, well the humans who work for them, like Assasians and what not, either mind wipe or get "rid of" the people who have been witness to the Fallen. So it is still a mystery and a secret becauce the DA are so good at keeping the secret safe.

I guess just think of it like Grey Knight fluff. Hardly anyone knows of the GK exsist. If they do, they do not know of them for long afterwards. An expample, is when the GK fight along allies or IG storm troopers, after the battle, those allies or IG storm Troopers (that don't belong to DH) mysterioulsy die or vanish, never to be herd from again.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. Those who are unlucky enough to see Fallen are silenced by the Dark Angels. It's implied they kill an entire ship of Black Templars, after all.

Plus, it depends what kind of Fallen they are. Some are fully chaotic, some are mercenaries, some still think they are the real loyalist DA.

So I'd say go with what you like the look of. Black armour with no identifiers or bright red DA icons, it's all good.

The great thing about Fallen background info is that it can be used to justify any paint job.

Fallen who realized they made a ---- up by siding with Luthor and want to redeem themselves? Good old fashioned pre-Heresy iconography, "For the Legion!"

Fallen who have embraced chaos? They're chaos, go nuts with defiled iconography (or just plain removed), "Let the galaxy burn!"

Fallen who have gone mercenary and just want to keep their heads down? Pre-heresy style but no Chapter icons, "Show me the money!"

Fallen who want to get the Dark Angels in trouble or draw attention to the fact that Fallen exist? Good new fashioned post-heresy colors and iconography on old style armor, "Look at us be naughty!"

Go nuts!

Archived