Honour Unseen

This is the first story ive posted a stoey on B&C so please give me all the criticism you can, but be warned eventually im planning to write some gory, not so heroic scenes to fit with my image of the 40k universe but until then read on

enjoy

1-Fight Or Flight

I'm running as fast as I can the machines close behind me, their mud-splattered white metal casing causing them to seemingly disappear into the concrete background every now and again. I bring up my pistol and I aim for the point between the head and the chest on one of the. The round hits and I’m rewarded with the sight of one of the machines spurting a dark liquid, maybe oil?

I turn back around to see a group of the machines land down the road their falls cushioned by the rockets attached to their backs. I panic for a moment and duck into an alley to the left, five of them right behind me I turn round and fire off another few rounds bringing down another machine. I turn and see that I’m trapped, panic grips me and I start struggling to breathe, but I fight it back and force myself to think clearly. I check my bag, two grenades and another mag for my pistol, with the rounds left in my gun that makes sixteen rounds total, theirs also the knife concealed in a cavity in my boot but I don’t think that will do much good against hardened metal. I look around again and then I have an idea…

The machines are coming into the alley, making hand signs I don’t understand, then they spread out but that doesn’t matter, I tug the string which pulls the pins out of the grenades. 3, 2, 1… “What” I think “don’t tell me all the buggers were defec” Boom, the grenades go off and the buildings on either side of the alley come down on top of the machines, I’m only protected because I lined the rubbish bin I’m in with a few inches worth of corrugated iron plates.

When the dust settles I climb out to see over a dozen of the rocket-pack machines land on the rubble, instinctively I bring up my pistol and start to fire, on goes down and then I see another with a human face, their not machines after all, but I shoot him in the face anyway, twice, but he take both bullets and keeps coming and the last thing I see is his fist rushing towards my face and then the world turns black.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived