Painting your Dark Angels

Lord Dacius

Happy weekend all!

Im looking at the galleries and I see the varrying degrees of "Dark Angel" green, but few of them are what I see in my mind for what I want my Greenwing to look like. What I am looking for is a way to make marines that at a glance look black, but then if you look closely or focus on one, you will see that it is indeed a very deep dark green.

You stold my idea. :( That is what I do. What I did was paint them Dark Angels Green and use a blach ink. For others I have painted them black and use a DA Green Ink on it. Now onto reading what ODB has said :).

Someone said to paint them DA Green and used a Badab (I think that is the name, it is black) wash instead of black ink.

What I do to get a really, really black green look, is prime coat black, then use a heavily watered down DA green. I'll high light up from that but it usually is in that almost black after first 2 layers.

My green recipe is as follows:

Paint DA Green

Highlight with a 1:1 mix of DAG and Kommando Khaki

Give a liberal wash with the following mix:

1 part Klear floor varnish(glossy)

2 parts Vallejo Dark Green ink

4-5 parts water.

The varnish helps it to run across the whole surface and really darkens it down.

Hit with a coat of matt varnish after to lose the shine, and it#'s nice and dark.

Hope that helps :tu:

I usually use a black undercoat, DA green basecoat and then wash liberally with black ink. I suspect that one or two coats of Badab black would have much the same effect.

To achieve the effect you're looking for you probably want some very crisp edge highlights rather than a gradual layered approach - but that's really up to you!

Here is my attempt what I did a few months ago. It's not that great, but eh, I am learning. Here you can see, "Beaky" seems black abit.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l47/hsojvvad/071.jpg

Here you see "Beaky" is green.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l47/hsojvvad/061.jpg

Another angle of the "Beaky" and his companion.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l47/hsojvvad/070.jpg

It sort of works for me, now I have to learn how to paint better and not use so thick paint. ;)

For a first attempt those are pretty decent mate, I shouldn't worry too much, getting better is all abour getting good brush control so you can work at more intricate detail and thinning paints is a must. You seem to be pretty neat though, so the signs are good. If I put my first painting attempt up, a Warrior of Minas Tirith, I would be thrown out of these forums like a flash :)

If I put my first painting attempt up, a Warrior of Minas Tirith, I would be thrown out of these forums like a flash ;)

:P you would indeed as it isn't 40K.

HsojVvad the blacker the better as far as I'm concerned.

The issue with inky black over green is the risk of uneven 'blackness' especially over the larger surface areas of vehicles. Far better mix up a big pot of DA Green and Codex Black to taste and then use that as you would any other colour. Personally a thin DA Green over black basecoat, with black ink or Babad wash into recesses, is probably 'black' enough for most people. Though I've found that the DA Green goes on 'dark' but dries disappointingly lighter.

For the 'dark' preference I never highlight my greenwing models – and certainly would never use Snot Green as the highlight colour as GW used to recommend – drags the whole thing to the light end of the scale for my taste.

Cheers

I

For the 'dark' preference I never highlight my greenwing models – and certainly would never use Snot Green as the highlight colour as GW used to recommend – drags the whole thing to the light end of the scale for my taste.

Cheers

I

I highlight all the way up to Scorpian Green for my Greenwing, but then I bring the colour back down with many consective DA green washes. If you want extreme highlights but don't want garish colour you can do this and then wash all the colour out of the mini whilst still maintaining the colour gradient.

Archived