My chapters characters

Well I am currently revamping my chapter and even making models for all of my captains and vice captains. Progress is slow (super glue I found has gone all gooey and lost my plastic glue >.<) however plans are laid and progress has been made all the same. I decided I would finally make a proper end-all thread for my chapters special characters.

With no further a-do:

Chapter master Dalhit Bayson

Stats: WS:7 BS:5 S:4 T:4 W:4 I:7 A:4 Ld:10 Sv:2+

Wargear: artifcer shadowstep armour, Hebikuroi, Plasma-combi, frag and krak grenades, Steel halo

Special rules:

Artifcer shadowstep armour: Can move 12" in movement phase. Suffers dangerous terrain checks if moving through terrain (unless it is considered flat and easily crossed by players). Cannot turbo-boost, run or any other form of movement enhancing abilities.

Hebikuroi: this blade is a large jet black weapon that scorchs all that it hits. User strikes at str6 in close combat and ignores armour saves, adds an additional d6 for armour penetration

Steel halo: this finely crafted iron halo is noted to be stronger than other iron halos. Grants the user a 4+ Invunerable save that re-rolls failed invunerable saves.

Plasma-Combi: this unique combi weapon is a melding of plasma pistol and flamer. The weapon can be fired as a plasma pistol normally but may once per game fire as a flamer.

Preferred enemy: chaos daemons/chaos marines

Enraged power: every unsaved wound suffered increases his attacks by 1

Independant character

Chapter Lord Tom Phan

Stats: WS:7 BS:5 S:5 T:4 W:4 I:6 A:3 Ld:10 Sv:2+

Wargear: artifcer armour, roaring victory, combi-melta, frag and krak grenades, iron halo

Special rules:

Bionic might: has +1 str (included in profile) and has a 5+ Feel no pain roll

Roaring victory: this chainsword carves apart all enemies. This chainsword is considered master crafted and re-rolls failed to wound rolls along with having the rending rule. On the charge the user gains D3 attacks

Empowering aura: all units within 12" gain the furious charge special rule and use his leadership for leadership checks.

Independant character

1st grand company captain Gregor Finn

Stats: WS:6 BS:5 S:5 T:5 W:4 I:4 A:3 Ld:10 Sv:2+

Wargear: Thunder claws, master crafted combi-plasma, terminator armour, iron halo

Special rules:

thunder claws: These claws hit far harder than normal lightning claws due to a modification that causes them to give bursts of energy everytime they strike. In addition to being able to re-roll to wound, any model wounded by oringal strike suffers D3 wounds instead. He also has D6+D3 armour penetration.

More machine than man: shown in his stats are above average marine stats, this shows the captains extensive bionic body he has (which is why he is slower than other captains, bionics have their limits). he also has a 3+ feel no pain roll.

Eternal warrior

Preferred enemy: orks

Independant character

1st grand company vice-captain Dereck Andrews

Stats: WS:6 BS:5 S:4 T:4 W:3 I:6 A:3 Ld:10 Sv:3+

Wargear: plasma pistol, Devil fang, Iron halo, frag and krak grenades

Special rules:

Devil fang: this weapon is a master crafted power weapon that counts as poisoned (4+)

Get at them: Often Andrews spurs his forces on into the enemy before they even get half a chance to move. Andrews may opt for one of the following: may make D3 units take a free scout move even they don't have the special rule or seize the intiative on a 5+

Feel no pain: he's pretty agressive.

Furious charge

Independant character

2nd grand company captain Hecthor Ectasy

Stats: WS:6 BS:5 S:4 T:4(5) W:3 I:6 A:4 Ld:10 Sv:2+

Wargear: artifcer armour, reaper, iron halo, sleipnir, frag and krak grenades

Special rules:

Reaper: this scythe is a relic blade that causes any unit that suffers wounds from it take an additional -2 to their leadership modifer if they lose

Sleipnir: the bike is far faster than most bikes and mounts a different weapon. The bike may turbo boost even across Difficult terrain and never counts terrain as dangerous (this is part from the bikes build and the captains skill). In addition it replaces the traditional twin-linked bolter for something with more punch and an equalling rate of fire of the two bolters combined. The weapon fires with th following profile:

Range: 24" S:5 AP:4 Heavy2, twin-linked (the twin-linked nature is more from the masterly crafted end rather than two guns welded together!).

Likes to ride around: often the captain will set off on his own to find a way around the enemy to ensure the enemy reserves are harrassed while also making a sudden appearance behind the enemy lines. If he is included he may be reserved but if so he will not appear normally and applies the following effects: he arrives from the opponents table side and also disrupts the enemy reserves: the enemy may not roll for reserves until turn 3 with a -1 modifer for their arrival (in other words it will still go 4+, 3+, 2+ then auto).

Energitic: no matter how the odds are stacked, the captain always seems ready to fight on and this often gives the men the energy to fight on also. Any unit that can see the captain is considered stubborn.

independant character

2nd grand company Vice-captain/company head librarian Craig Vanotra

Stats: WS:5 BS:5 S:4 T:4 W:3 I:7 A:3 Ld:10 Sv:2+

Wargear: Terminator armour, force weapon, Warp gauntlet, Psychic hood

Special rules:

Epistolary: he may take 2 powers from codex: space marine. he may also use up to 2 psychic powers a turn.

Warp gauntlet: this strange device allows Craig to control warp energy more safely. He never suffers a perils of the warp from a double 1 on a psychic test and takes his perils of the warp from a double 6 as a standard invunerable save, no re-rolling if successful or unsuccessful.

Unique powers: while he knows all the standard tricks of most librarians, he is known to develop his own various powers. he may take one of the following as one of his powers (this is in addition to the powers he already has): (All following powers are done at the start of the users movement phase bar the last one)

Ensnaring tendrils: select one enemy unit within 18" of Craig, that unit now moves as if in dangerous terrain for their following movement phase.

Impassable barrier: craig and his unit gain a 2+ invunerable save however cannot move. In the assault phase, they count as int:1 if fighting. (this lack of movement means any moving, EG: running, moving to engage enemy from a charge, consolidating). In addition the unit counts as fearless for the turn this power is in effective (lasts til next player turn).

Warp lightning blast: Range:24" S:9 AP:3 Assault1, blast, tanks suffer crew stunned in addition to any other damage results rolled.

Independant Character

(will post up more later, getting late, C&C on what I have so far. Hope you feel these are characterful! Edit: added more, C&C)

(Edit edit: added another)

These guys are a touch on the "Anime-esque" side in terms of power, don't you think?

Let's start with your Chapter Master.

His statline is a touch powerful for a marine. I7 puts him firmly in Slaaneshi, Eldar and Tyranid territory, which is a bit much when combined with what's basically a one-handed relic blade that also does 2d6 Armour Pen. WS 7 also seems to be a touch much for a Marine when you consider that means he's capable of striking combat monsters of the caliber of genestealers on a 3+, and even Daemon Princes and Broodlords only equal him.

So for armour... he's halfway between a biker and an Eldar Warp Spider. Alright, not bad, it's an interesting piece of kit. The Steel Halo is a bit much in my opinion. The ability to reroll invulnerable saves basically turns him into a perma-fortuned Jetbike Farseer, which means 75% of almost all attacks will bounce off him, assuming his 2+ armour save doesn't kick in. The sword is a bit too powerful when combined with the fact that he has 5 base attacks with it (4 base + 1 for two hand weapons) and can actually increase it to 9 (enraged rule) under his own power. Preferred Enemy: Chaos and Chaos Daemons is also a touch much when you consider him as a full entity. Rerolling to hit almost everything you'd encounter on a 3+ in those armies is a little on the scary side. As for the enraged rule... yeah, it also seems a bit much. Seems to be the only way you'd really want to deal with this guy is ID spam, which should not be the solution to facing a single character. I do like the plasma pistol, though it counts against my reservations of his assault prowess.

All in all, this guy should not cost less than Mephiston or the Sanguinor for what he can do. I have to ask though, was it intentional that these characters "stand on their own" the way Psycho, Meph and Sanguinor do (no IC status)?

The Chapter Lord:

OK, this guy's stats aren't bad. While WS7 still seems a touch on the high side, given his rules and wargear, it's not gamebreaking. Of more concern, however, is his I6. Combined with Furious Charge, he's striking at I7, which again I think is too high for a Marine who is not touched by Slaanesh (and yes, the BA characters do give me fits even though it's my own army).

As for his wargear and rules, I like bionic might. It's nice variation on FnP and +1S while using a chainsword is not too bad. However, the chainsword itself is a bit troubling. A mastercrafted, rending weapon, with the ability to reroll to-wound rolls is scary. Especially when you consider he gets at least 3 swings with the thing at WS7, I6, and S5. And given the wording of the rules, you can decide to reroll hits and misses to get more chances at getting a rending wound. Empowering Aura is nice, but the aura is huge. With a 12" radius, he can cover a massive portion of an army and give them FC and Leadership 10.

While he feels a bit more balanced, 200 points still seems on the light side, given his buffing capabilites and chainsword.

The 1st Company Grand Master:

While it is stated his body is highly augmented by bionics, is it necessary for him to be S5, T5, and 4W? Given the fact that he has customized Lightning Claws, he's not actually slower than a Space Marine Captain (he's still I5 for combat and he doesn't have Slow and Purposeful or an inability to run in terms of movement), and he's an Eternal Warrior, is the stat boost really that much of a priority?

Wargear and stats: The Thunder Claws are scary. They're lightning claws, always swing at a minimum strength of 5, and they cause D3 wounds per unsaved hit. They're extremely scary to non-vehicle models. As for vehicles, you realize that if he gets lucky he can glance a Land Raider with those things? Dreadnoughts without DCCWs can't even do that. Terminator armour aside, a 3+ FnP roll with T5 and W4 makes for an intimidating foe. Add to that the fact he still has an iron halo, he's a tough nut to crack.

Again, he's a touch too powerful for me to be comfortable seeing him at 210 points.

I'm sorry, as much as I like Anime, ``Bleach Captain-style" characters should not cost so few points.

Edited them a litte, Dalhit cannot go any further than 12" (bar his 6" assault range) a turn. Gregor Finn has been brought down to a slower int. I also want to add I wanted the chapter master and chapter lord to actually be something more than their captains rather than just rules: stats-wise they are faster and strike more often (and so you know, his attacks are basic, however I will reduce them). I just feel that chapter masters should be the heroes of heroes and not by just a rule or two.

1st captain can only glance a land raider, and a dreadnought can't because it has nothing boosting it further however the thunder claws use the idea of thunder hammers to add extra kick to his attacks. Will up their price by a bit and mod them a touch. (and he can only go up to 8 attacks as he is at time of typing: 3 extra attacks from 3 unsaved wounds, then dead after he loses his last wound!)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived