Fuzzy finish

Am pulling my hair out of my head. Just started putting on a Krylon Grey Primer to four LR's worth of bits and pieces. And the paint dried for lack of a better term fuzzy, not smooth at all. Fortunately the hulls have not been touched.

It's currently 89 degrees 71% humidity.

Ive four LR's I want to finish by the weekend, and now Ive over 60+ pieces soaking in simple green.

Anyone know how to avoid this in the future?

Try and submerge your primer in cold/ icy water for five/ ten minutes. Pull out, dry off and let stand for five minutes then apply.

If possible do it in a garage/ basement/ closed off room with ventilation.

Hope this helps,

Kal

A couple of things. Like kalicurealm said, I think your primer is too warm. Also, while krylon primer is definitely not the ideal primer to be using (it is notoriously fuzzy: if you can, use Games Workshop primer-its what the European Golden Demon winners use! or Tamiya fine surface) I think you also may be spraying TOO FAR from the models. Many times this is the cause of fuzziness and lack of resolution, as the primer is drying in the air on the way to the model. Try short bursts at about one hand's length away.

(but mostly-time to switch primers)

Hope that helps!

Thanks Dark Brotherhood:

Am thinking the drying in the air was the problem. Went to pick up the cardboard box I was spraying on and noticed massive amounts of Grey Primer nodules on the surface.

Cooled down, went inside out of the sun and worked fine.

Thanks.

Glad the issue got resolved for you Puerixdeus!

As for the glossy finish it is probably the complete opposite problem, almost. Try spraying in short bursts a little further away from your mini. Remember also that it is always better to put two thin coats of primer on than one detail obliterating one.

Archived