Blood angels before sanguinius?

Brother Nathan

i've never heard that they had any name other than Legion (number here). only a few of the legions had names before they met up with their primachs that i know of so the BA might not have had a name at all. but as far as i know their color scheme never changed when they found sanguinius.

The ninth legion (IX)

I don't think they existed before Sanguinius.

Each Primarch is the first of his Legion...

yes and no.

each primarch was created before his legion.

however each legion was created AFTER the primarchs were lost as babies in their incubation tanks, using their genetic material as a base.

so the Blood Angels (and all the other primogenator legions) were build up without their corresponding primarch being present.

most legions were simply identified by a number, but some had a name due to some special reason. eg: the warhounds legion, were so named by the emperor, due to the tenacity with which they were know to fight (later they became the World Eaters)

woe is me, for to be completely misunderstood... The ba's were created at angel falls when the emperor took genetic material from sang and implanted it into baal natives. At no point does it say the emp gave sang an existing legion as it has with other primarchs... It is possible that the ba's existed prior to sang being found again, but by no means certain. Reading the codex entry, it is probably more likely that there were no ba's until the meeting on baal...

is this then yet another incient of a "Mattwardinesm"?

pre-established fluff states that ALL legions were created using the genestock of their primarchs and were one by one reunited with them.

Just Finalized the 1000 sons novel...and their case was exactly as mentioned...Magnus was created...then lost...then 1K sons created...and already named as such by the emperor...maybe due to some vision of the future from the Emperor of mankind in what would be the future of the sons of Magnus...so they had a name even before they met their Primarch.

only if matt ward wrote the second ed codex angels of death. So no...

Well... we know that the 12th legion ('War Hounds' - would be renamed 'World Eaters') existed prior to the Emperor finding Angron. Why would the Emperor create a legion and have it known as the 12th legion if he never created the legion known today as the 9th? I suppose he might have had time after finding Sanguinius to go back to Terra and build three more legions, but that seems a bit unlikely.

Also IIRC, Index Astartes references the Emperor placing Sanguinius in command of the 9th Legion after he found him.

so in other words for the moment noone knows. But we do hope to find out. What else can we hope to find out in the herasy series when they get round to us (in the hopes that who ever writes us actually searches a few forums to do research, unlikely...)

(ps lunar wolves/sons of horus and then black legion. they may have even had another before that..)

Sorry, late nite packing for the weekend so I'll have to be brief adn quoteless:

Statement that the Alpha Legion are the youngest legion and were only around for a short time before the Heresy suggests that the Legions were not all created before the E left Terra. Backed up by the IF's with their "Roma" battle honour, suggesting that they were unusual in having been around during the unification wars and having fought on Terra. So the Legions must have been made across a number of years.

Primarch were found across a number of years.

Statement that the BA's should be trusted despite their flaw due to the Emperor having been personally involved with their creation - suggests that he wasnt personally involved in every Legion's creation (fits with the E leaving Terra wiht some legions already created and others maybe being created while he was campaigning).

What might happen if he found a Primarch before the relevant legion had been created? See Blood Angels...

Rider-75 is absalutely correct. According to long standing fluff, the Emperor did infact create a whole legion from EACH of the gentic code he possessed from all 20 Primarch he originally created. (yes that inclued the 2 Excomunicated Legion that noone knows the story too) And that was before the Great Crusade began. I wish the Index Astartes books/articles were still available. Also as has been said, each legion was simply given a number until either a) their Primarch was found. Or :P they earned aname be reputation.

Once each Primarch was found, the Emperor gave them the legion that corresponded with that Primarch's genetic code and that Legion was renamed to something pertaining to him.

In Sanguinus' case, the Tribe that found and raised him were called The Blooded, or simply The Blood. Also it should be noted that Sanguinus' name is derived from the Latin word for Blood; Sanguis (inis, m.)

I am sure I don't have to explain the 'Angel' part.

CTK

Well in reference to the Alpha Legion in Index Astrates 4 it tells that when Alpharius was found he was given command of his Legion, leading me to believe that one already existed. Especially since he never claimed to have a home world. So if Alpha Legion already existed without Primarch and was one of the last to be created at 20, I would assume that other Legions had been created for the Primarchs prior to discovery.

The Alpha Legion are not mention as being the youngest Legion. Simply that their Primarch was the last to emerge from the warp so spent less time in the material universe than his Primarch brothers, And was there fore, the last to be found by their father.

Also. The Blood Angels flaw was not discovered until long after Sanguinus' death and the Emperor's entombment on the Golden Throne.

The fluff also says that the Primarch's gifts such as Sanguinus' wings were results of Chaos Corruption (page 10 - BA Dex) for when the infants were kidnapped. Not from what the Emperor had created. He made them super human, yes. But with the different and varied mutations they all (?) possess.

CTK

Actually, rereading the Index Astartes article "Angels of Death" makes this a little awkward....

From early fluff it is suggested that the legions were created in the absence of the primarchs from their genetic material. Indeed the Index Astartes article "Rites of Initiation" reinforces that idea.

However, the "angels of Death" article CLEARLY states that The Blood, the untainted humans of baal secundus, were raised using the genetic material of sanguinius into a FULL LEGION.

so yet again we have a clash of fluff.......

I believe you can use both bits of fluff.

The IX Legion was created prior to the Emperor landing on Baal, and through attrition and other factor is was not a full legion at the time where Sanguinius rejoined the Emperor so the natives of Baal where inducted to used to return it to a full legion

@Cain, well according to the Index they were lol "The Alpha Legion, as it was now named, was the last Legion of the Adeptus Astartes to be created. With astounding prescience, the Emperor had ordered their creation just a few decades ago." So I guess he could tell when a Primach was soon to be found someway (he is the Emperor after all) and knew when they would need a Legion. Plus, with all the Legions being initially created from Terran stock they might need time between Legions to replenish supplies and stock. Not just anyone can become a Marine after all. Just sharing what I know since it doesnt seem many people have the Index books, which is sad. They need to reprint them in a big format like the Horus Heresy: Collected Visions book!

Archived