3D Printing

Hi there,

I'm a 3D computer games artist and 40k nut. I've never much cared for the unmodified chaos defiler, so am considering this http://www.3dcreationlab.co.uk/ as a converting option. The idea is, you make your CG model, and its converted into a resin object with some fiendishly clever scanning tech.

Are there any other 3D modellers here, who've done this, or would consider it?

I think I read a thread some time ago (don't know which forum anymore, my guess would be conceptart.org or some such) by somebody who made a T-Rex in ZBrush and had it 3d printed. Came out pretty good, had all the fiddly details the model had. But that was quite a bit larger than 28mm scale, about 30 cm high if I remember correctly. Looking at the gallery pictures on the page you linked printers seem to be able to do alot more than the last time I looked into it, but I would ask for the technical data and a price estimate before you start working on something anyway. This might have changed as well since I looked into it the last time but back then rapid prototyping was expensive.

The father of one of my friends manufactures custom parts for model helicopters, using milling machines and stuff like that so I was quite tempted to try something similar but never got around to do anything.

But if you only want to make some custom heads, torsos and shoulderpads (i.e. simple stuff) I'd say break out your sculpting tools and start pushing some putty around to create your masters and create your molds from these. A few years of doing 3d models (as a hobby - I was 13 back then) actually brought me back to the good old analog modelling, i.e. 40k. It's worth the effort and nice to hold something in your hands for a change after spending several hours on it. ;)

But then again using your 3d package of choice would speed the process of creation up enormously. So if you actually do something like that make sure to post about it. I might be able to loot some ideas. :devil:

I've done this a bit with 6mm stuff and the output varies a good bit based on which company is used for the printing of the model. I've been going with a company named print a part and I've had some good results with their output resolution. You'd have to either get a bronze made from it or cast it in resin yourself. Also keep in mind these places tend to charge by volume so try to make it hollow where you can to keep the price down.

But if you only want to make some custom heads, torsos and shoulderpads (i.e. simple stuff) I'd say break out your sculpting tools and start pushing some putty around to create your masters and create your molds from these.

Its the head, torso, arms and shoulder variations that I don't have the patience to churn out over and over again by hand. I think I'd rather break out the greenstuff for a big ole' monstrous creature conversion, and make the teeny tiny bits in CG. Don't hold your breath for WIP shots though. :)

You only have to sculpt/print them once. Then you can just make some molds and reproduce your parts as often as you like. I made a bunch of gas mask wearing heads for my IG this way and once you've got the hang of making molds and casting it's quite fast. I'd recommend casting with resin, as metal tends to get messy and it's harder to clean the flash off of the small pieces.

Anyway, if there won't be WIP pics I'm looking forward to the pics of the finished product. ;) <_<

Archived