Predator Executioner

katarn

Im looking to creating several Preds with plasma turets and sponsens as it seems like a very Dark Angel like thing to do and just woundered if anyone has done it before. Also what would be a fare points cost.

Are you looking at running it like the leman russ with the possibility of 5 plasma cannon shots a turn? If so I'd cost it pretty similarly, despite having weaker armor. You get a higher ballistic skill to help out a little bit. It should definitely at least cost more than the all-lascannon predator.

The main differences you tend to see is the type of turret pt on top. But (2) plasma cannon sponsons, and a twin-linked plasma cannon should be around a Predator Annihilator with lascannon turret. So 200 pts, or so

I remember about 7 years back the members of this board came up with quite a few Plasma Preds. I don't think those posts still exist, but maybe some of the older members can remember all the rules.

What I remember is that it had a twin linked Plasma Cannon and linked plasma gun sponsens. I also think that there was a chart you rolled on if you fired all the weapons on the same turn to represent the extreme heat that it would produce.

Maybe Master Toddis or =me= will give there $.02 on it. If I remember they were very involved in the project.

I did one during 3rd edition with vdr. I called it the Arch Angel predator. People didn't like it at first because its rather powerful. So I added some home brewed rules to make it more balanced without hiking the points to kingdom come. 200pts.

1. If you alpha all plasma cannons the tank becomes extremely heated. Roll a D6, on a 1 the tank is considered shakened next turn. (cool down period)

2. If you alpha the plasma cannons the tanks becomes spotted in a night fight conditions. The tank heat sinks are glowing red hot.

3. On a weapon destroyed result roll a d6. On a 1 the tank becomes shakened the next turn because the resulting plasma explosion is large enough to do so.

4. If the tank explodes; models in the blast radius suffer a strength 6 hit.

5. No PSB or HKM options. The heat sinks would simply wreck them.

6. 0-1 tanks allowed per army. Its a rare unit.

It made it more balanced that way. People still thought it was kinda cheesy though. You can remove soooo many expensive units from the game whole-sale with that tank(s). More an apoc SM tank I think.

IIRC, VDR vehicles were a tad high on the price, am I right? VDR was concieved during 3rd ed, and had a revamp in 4th. Im talking from memory here, so if Im wrong please do correct. 5th ed coming with even cheaper vehicles, doesnt make VDR even more expensive? I wouldnt go with overheat rules Alastor is mentioning, the higer points cost using the VDR should compensate for all the plas spam.

4. If the tank explodes; models in the blast radius suffer a strength 6 hit.

5. No PSB or HKM options. The heat sinks would simply wreck them.

6. 0-1 tanks allowed per army. Its a rare unit.

I´ll keep those 3 special rules only. Nowadays theres plenty of nastier stuff out there to make look a Plas Predator like an overpowered thing at all.

IIRC, VDR vehicles were a tad high on the price, am I right? VDR was concieved during 3rd ed, and had a revamp in 4th. Im talking from memory here, so if Im wrong please do correct. 5th ed coming with even cheaper vehicles, doesnt make VDR even more expensive? I wouldnt go with overheat rules Alastor is mentioning, the higer points cost using the VDR should compensate for all the plas spam.

You are totally correct. The rules for the tank and points costs would have to be completely replaytested. I have NO clue how much is fair now. Especially with true line of sight. That game mechanic is both bad and good for the tank, however.

I did one during 3rd edition with vdr. I called it the Arch Angel predator. People didn't like it at first because its rather powerful. So

This brought a smile to my face. I seem to remember pics. Did you actually make one or was that another frater?

I did one during 3rd edition with vdr. I called it the Arch Angel predator. People didn't like it at first because its rather powerful. So

This brought a smile to my face. I seem to remember pics. Did you actually make one or was that another frater?

I did make one, had pics of it on my PBASE account (because that was one of the few websites that allowed hot linking for a while back then) and then when i ended my subscription half the pics went missing, including all the arch angel ones, and all of them were resized. www.pbase.com/master_toddius

It ended up that my friends were So pissed at that tank that I said if they could beat me at a large game AND kill the tank I would allow them to take a hammer to it. I lossed both and they got the pleasure of destroying it. It wasn't painted and I wasn't happy with how it turned out, model wise. And memories with friends like that last a life time so i didn't care. We still laugh about it. :P

++edit: I think the people on here didn't really like the way the model looked, either. If i remember correctly. :P

Cheers guys for all the response

From all the suggestions i'm thinking 65pts for the turet, which would be a 2 shot cannon and not twin linked. 80pts for the sponsons. To me 205 pts seems very fair as you may get 1 plus BS but the IG version gets better armour and Lumbering Behemoth and an extra shot for 230pts.

Archived