Salamander Veterans

I'm not really sure which topic this goes under, but it's about painting, so.... Anyway, my question is: would Salamander sternguard, terminators, and vanguard have a white helmet, or is there another way they stand out from regular marines? I'm trying to do a really fluffy Vulcan task force, so I'm trying to get as close as one can get to the actual story line GW has for salamanders. Thanks!

All salamander termies I've seen have green helmets, though I have also seen command squads with gold helmets, I think the chapter symbol being white on a black background + the Codex tactical marking for veterans (Crux Terminatus) is what differentiates them. Otehr companies I think have their chapter symbol and field in different colours, though teh 2nd also appears to be White on black, but with teh tactical/assault/devestator squad markings on the right pad...

From Codex: Armageddon/IA article days, the only way that Vets were distinguished was by the Crux (displayed in white) on the right shoulderpad.

In the newest Codex, GW uses the Crux shoulderpads painted in gold on black background.

Both Codex: Armageddon and Index Astartes IV show the salamanders terminators with green helmets.

Ok, so, from the fluff, it's the crux terminatus on their right shoulder, replacing the fire symbol other companies have?

I thought the fire symbol wasn't used to indicate the company, but the squads (both Codex: Space Marines and codex: Armageddon)? Although Index Astartes IV shows that squads are marked with black numerals on a yellow marking (like a black '3' on a yellow arrow), and that the fire markings are honour markings.

The companies would have the salamander's head in different colors on a different background to tell them apart (for the most part, I don't know if other symbols are used for certain companies).

From what I have found here and there, I'm marking my salamanders as follows:

- company marking is a white salamander head on a black background, which is nice and fast, and also works great with the green of the armour

- squad markings are different style fire markings (one flame for squad A, a shoulder-pad filling inferno for squad B, lava for squad C, ...). Veterans, although I use none at the moment, would have the crux instead of the fire marking.

- sergeants have a fire marking on their left kneepad. Veteran sergeants will still have their squad's flame marking to link them with their squads, giving those a crux shoulderpad would make things complicated in melee.

@Obliterator: Thank you, I'm definitely going to use a few of these suggestions for my army. I'm doing mostly 2nd company with firedrake attachments. Sadly, I'm not good enough to do the flames on their shoulders and my homemade transfer experiment was an epic fail, but I'll just leave their left should black until I get enough experience to do it right.

@Bannus: You're right, it's right there. Thanks

Not meaning to hijack the thread but this is as good a place to ask this question as any since we are talking about color schemes.I recall reading some time ago that Salamander Apothecaries bear an unusual colour scheme; the left arm and left-hand side of the helmet are painted red, right shoulder pad and right-hand side of the helmet are white and the remainder of the armour is green.

Can anyone remember or confirm this?I am about to paint my Apothecary today and was wondering if this is true.

Archived