Battle Report

Over the weekend I played a game against a friend who plays Nids. It was 1250 points.

My list:

Belial: w/ PS and SB

Ven Dread: Assc + Dccw w/ SB

Dread: PC + ML

Dread: Assc +DCCW w/ SB

DW Terminators: ASSC, CF, PF, LC, sarge w/ PS + SB

Tactical Squad: PP, PG, LC, Rhino (no SB)

Whirlwind

Predator: Sponson LCs, Autocannon

His list: (From memory)

Hive Tyrant (Lash whip and Bonesword, Heavy Venom Cannon) + 3x Tyrant Guard

Hive Guard x3

Zoranthropes x3

Venomethropes x2

Gaunts (a lot)

Warriors x5

Carnifex (2x scything talons?)

I have no idea what most of the upgrades were, so don't even ask.

The playing field (sorry, he has pictures, and I'm bugging him about them, but I don't) was laid out like so:

(Not to scale)

(eh. that didn't work. I tried to make a picture the old style way, with text. Guess the site doesn't like that. Here's a run down of the terain: Bastion in the middle, with some medium height terrain (T1) directly to it's right. Ruins, Far right, in the middle, Mid height terrain (T2) lower right, short tower, lower left, other terrain that ended up being irrelevant scattered around)

| B: Bastion (in the center)

| T1: Terain (not area, high enough to provide effective cover)

| T2: (Same as above)

/ | t: A small Tower

____ __ / | R: Ruins

| B | | / | There was some other terrain around, but I can't remember where it was because it wasn't relevant to the battle.

|____| T1 | \ R |

|___| \ |

\ |

__ ____ \ |

|_t| |__T2| |

__________________________________________________|

The game was spearheads with multiple objectives (4), one in the ruins, One at the lower right of T2, one at the base of t, and directly above (read touching) T1

I deployed/went first. My PC + ML Dreadnought Deployed on the second level of the ruins, just barely inside my deployment zone. The Tactical squad was split into combat squads, one (C2) to hold the T2 objective (LC) And the other (C1) in the rhino just to the right of T2 (PP, PG). The Whirlwind hid behind T2 with C2, while the Assc +DCCW Dread deployed next to the rhino and the Predator and the Ven Dread deployed to left of T2, ready to make a move on the tower. Belial and the Terminator squad stayed in reserve.

He deployed en mass in behind the bastion and T1 in his corner.

Turn 1.

I moved the Rhino up towards T1, along with the Dreadnought. The PC + ML Dreadnought moved to the third story of the ruins, where it had a clear line of sight to most of the nid army. The Ven Dread and the Predator pushed left towards the tower. I decided not to use DWA. In shooting, I used everything that was in range, killing 3 gaunts, and putting a wound on the carnifex and one of the zoranthropes.

He moved forward, splitting to send the Zoranthropes and the Carnifex towards the tower, while everything else pushed towards the objective above T1. His hive guard managed to destroy (explode) my rhino, and in a stroke of bad luck, two men were killed (expendable bolter guys) and the combat squad inside was pinned. The zoranthopes also managed to immobilize my predator (and shaken as well, I think), but in such a position that it had a clear line of sight on everything between the tower and the bastion (and further back) with the sponson mounted weapons, so not as bad as it could have been.

Turn 2.

Belial and the terminators come in on a lucky role, and teleport into the gap between the tower and the bastion. The Ven Dread moved towards them, while the Dreadnought that had been moving with the rhino kept moving forwards. For shooting, the PC + ML dread managed to kill a warrior, while the terminators the Vend Dread, and the lascannon from the second heavy weapon squad knocked out the zoranthropes. The whirlwind accounted for a couple of gaunts (I was scattered off of my original target).

On his turn, he moved his hive tyrant towards my terminators, retreating the carnifex at the same time, since the he viewed the terminators as more that capable of killing it in an assault. The guants and warriors moved forward. The guants managed to kill one of the marines in the pinned squad, but that was it.

Turn 3.

Terminators moved to the base of the tower, holding the objective there (I learned later--in the Nid assault phase--that they were still within charge range of the Tyrant, despite my best intentions.) The Ven Dread also moved back, but out of charge range. The regular dread moved so that it could assault the gaunts holding the T1 objective. The combat squad that had been pinned got up and moved behind T1 to get cover from the gaunts My shooting resulted in a wound on the carnifex, killed one of the hive guard and wounded another. Finally, the regular dreadnought charged the guants and killed two of them.

He held position with most of his army, and didn't do anything shooting. The Carnifex and the HT (the HT forgot to use proxym) charged the terminators, but only killed belial (the fex, I believe, as it was instant death) and two of the other termies. In return, I got three wounds on the the tyrant guard killing one and putting a wound on the last one. The regular dread killed one or two more guants, who then broke and fled. (only one left.)

Turn 4.

Tactical squad moves across T1 so that they can fire down onto the hive guard. In shooting, the sergeant dies due to gets hot, and the PG only gets one wound on the Hive guard, but the PC + ML Dread and the whirlwind finish them off. In combat, the dread kills more guants, while the Ven Dread charges into the terminator/carnifex/HT mess. The tyrant, however decides to allocate all of it's I5 attacks against the Ven Dread, and kills it, despite re-roles. I lost one terminator, and killed the carnifex. Dread killed a few more guants

He moved the venomethropes into position to assault the last man in the first combat squad, while the warriors closed in on the objective by the tower. The gaunts broke and fled (out of synapse range, and only one left) from the dread. The HT killed the last of the terminators, but took two wounds. The venomthropes assaulted the lone tac squad marine, but he survived. Neither side did any damage.

Turn 5.

I managed, during the course of this turn, to wipe out everything that was left except three warriors who were holding the tower objective, leaving me holding the T1 and T2 objectives. The game ended at the end of this turn, which didn't bother either of us, as a 6th or 7th turn would have just been rubbing it in to the nid's player.

-----

I'm leaving for a vacation, so I won't be able to answer any questions on this, but the Nids player, who is either "The Instigator" or "Code 11"--I forget which one he uses on this site--should be around, and he said he'd keep an eye on this thread, and answer questions. He also has the pictures.

--BoR

Here are the photos. Sorry there is only two, but my camera ran out of batteries.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz89/code-11/MegalithandBattlereport005.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz89/code-11/MegalithandBattlereport004.jpg

They should be right side up, but photobucket does weird stuff sometimes.

As you can see, this game included some unorthodox terrain and was not played on a table. Even so, the lines for the edges were marked out clearly...ok semi-clearly.

Archived