Librarian Dreadnoughts

Puddle

And seriously, folks, are we overlooking that while vulnerable to psychic defense, the Librarian Dreadnought also provides that same defense in a list without a Librarian? I mean, let's give the guy credit. Extra Armor would only benefit him 1/6 of the time on a damage result anyway.... and he negates 1/3 of all damage results with Shield anyway. It's a fair-trade off for a useful unit, not a death sentence for a unit to be sent to the shelves.

I was about to tell you how essential Extra Armour is (because it frees the Dread to even assault 12" into the safety of mêlée) and then I saw the bit about the saving throws.

This calls for some Mathhammer! :P

bs4 Lascannon versus standard Dread.

4/6 to hit

3/6 to pen

2/6 to destroy

24/216 or 11.11%

24/216 x 4/6 (chance of failed save)

96/1296 or 7.41%

The Librarian costs 140% of the Regular Dread.

The Librarian is getting destroyed 66.70% that the Regular is.

Lets mulitply cost versus destruction percentage score:

So if a unit costs 100 points and will get destroyed 1% of the time, it scores a 1

A unit costing 100 points and gets destroyed 2% of the time, it scores a 2

A higher score means the unit is more likely to get destroyed for its cost.

Regular Dread cost xyz pts x 0.1111 chance of destroyed = 13.8875

Librarian Dread cost pqr pts x 0.0741 chance of destroyed = 12.9675

100/13.8875 x 12.9675 = 93.38% The Librarian Dread, with SoS, is 6% less likely to die point for point as a Regular.

Though it seems small, it is tougher. Add those changes up across an army and a draw becomes a narrow victory ~ all from making good Army Building selections.

+++

The Librarian can fly+run behind a flat-out+smoked Rhino. Both get a 4+ save.

Next turn, the Rhino and Librarian both get a 5++ save.

Perhaps the Librarian is not a no-brainer choice. Good! I don't want you guys having 'I win' units selections :P

But one thing I have noticed with my Templars is, unless I am on Foot (not competitive), I must DP my Dread into the fray and hope for an advantageous Reserves roll.

Having a Jump-packing Dread solves that problem. He covers 12+d6" in the T1 and imparts a 5++ cover save in T2. T3 he charges in mêlée and womps things with his i4 s10 attacks.

In the SangGuard thread, people are talking about bringing power fists. Some say it is good, others say the SG can't afford to not have all attacks at regular initiative. A Jump-packing Dread fixes that conundrum.

The only way that happens with a DP Dread is if you get him down on T2.

Good breakdown Marshall.

what people dont factor into that, is the actual prescence.. or 'threat' he poses.

40k is mostly about mental processes.. so if you can deter an assault on your vulnerable unit.. JUST because the Libby dread is closeby.. i think hes worth having.

also in a full JP/fast army he really fits in well for the same reason :D

I think its a silly fluff aberration so I don't use it.

I agree. Librarian Dreadnoughts appearing out of nothing and only for Blood Angels seems very silly to me. If every other Chapter(except Templars) and the Thousand Sons had access to this unit, alright with me. Only us? Never!

Snorri

Grey Knights are getting them too.

I think GW are welcome to write new fluff, but if you're a purist, I can see why you don't agree.

Personally, Libby dreads for BAs doesn't make much sense.. For GKs? Very much so..

But hey, take what were given and make use of what we've got! :teehee:

Archived