Need help building army

hninja

I want to build my 2nd army and after looking everything over at this great web site I must say that the Angels of Death really appeal to me. I will admit that i do need to by the codex so that will be my first purchase. But after that I am lost as to what units to get.

I played the Legion of the Damned when they actually had a stand alone list. If they have a updated stand alone list then a link to that would be great. But back on topic... So because I played the LoD I love to deep strike and I like to be mobile so I am really leaning to a jump pack heavy army and is it possible to field one without tanks?

I am looking forward to playing with this style of army and must admit I have not been this excited about another chapter other than when i first laid eyes on my beloved Legion of the Damned a very long time ago.

Thanks in advance

It is possible to build an army entirly with jump packs as blood angels can take assault squads as a troops choice. Tank aren't a neccesity but many people find them useful. I personally don't take many as I hate painting them. Make sure you take some melta guns to deal with enemy tanks and armour but other than that a jump pack based army is possible.

While you'd probably get flamed for doing so, you can easily use the Blood Angels codex to capture the spirit of the old LoD list, particularly the one from late 3e when they were finally allowed to take vehicles which would also deep strike. Just buy up the old metal torsos and put modern assault arms and jump packs on them.

Serphanel - Thanks for the advice and I will defiinitly field the melta's.

darth_giles - I miss deep striking tanks :( especially the vindicator. Nothing drew more attention & fire than that.

So that raises my next question. When I played before way back in 3E I used my tanks as a very big decoy to draw fire away from whatever unit was most important to me for that game. So if I don't field any tanks is there another way to do that?

Also can I field my LoD as an elite choice?

You cannot field a LoD unit in a Blood Angels army due to that unit doesn't exist in our Codex (Maybe a FAQ later) But I personally think the LoD is too busy saving the Ultra-Pansy's to help out Blood Angels and Space Wolves.

Big thanks once again GW :( maybe one day the big E will bless me with some good news on the LoD and a codex to purchase at my hobby store for the Blood Angels. Its almost like the chaos gods are conspiring against me.

Even though GW has in my opinion buried my army under a pile of rubble. I will not let it hold me down. For I shall rise like Mephiston and smash face one again!

Not having read the NEW PDF daemonhunter codex that is down loadable from GW web site, i do know that if you have the Old(hehe) Paper DH codex, that trumps the PDF codex according to the Website. That being the case, I've written up a few LoTd lists, to run "Radical Daemon hunter style army" here is some food for thought

=I= Lord + x2 mystics + wargear*

2-3 Daemon Hosts (in one squad)*

x1 10man IST w/ x2 Mg + Chimeria(sp)*

x1 5 man IST w/ x2 Mg + Rhino*

----------------------------------------------

and from 5th edition of the SM Codex:

x2 10man LotD squads

x2 Land speeder storms

x2 10 man Scout squads (combat squad both)

it's like 55+ models, Deep striking and Mech'd

paint and play your SM Scouts like Super hardcore Airborne IST squads. (red and black with lots of captial I's)

or Convert some "mystical portals" to count as Drop pods and run 3 10 man Lotd in your elites, tiggie and Motf, with 2 10man tacticals with "drop pods" and x3 Lotd dreads (vens) also with "drop pods"

or maybe run 2 full Lotd and a full Tactical terminator squad with Assault cannons w/libby in Tda with gate and null, all painted up like LOTD terminators.

good luck

You cannot field a LoD unit in a Blood Angels army due to that unit doesn't exist in our Codex (Maybe a FAQ later) But I personally think the LoD is too busy saving the Ultra-Pansy's to help out Blood Angels and Space Wolves.

But the Ultra-Pansy's are busy on the other side of the universe!

Archived