Basing frills

Looking to augment my bases, though I'd add some carcasses, helmets, scrap metal etc.

I have a large number of armies and I was wondering whether I should pair them off, or chain them?

Pairing: Army 1 has bits of Army 2 on the base and vice versa,

Chaining: Army 1 has bits of Army 2 on the base, Army 2 has bits of Army 3 on the base, ... , Army N has bits of Army 1 on the base,

Armies (style) {colour}

1. Deathwatch+Ultramarines 6th Co (bikes) {black and blue}

2. Ultramarines 8th Co (jumpers) {blue}

3. Dark Angels (Deathwing) {bleached bone}

4. Extinction Angels (CSM - Khorne) {purple and red}

5. Necrons (immortals/destroyer spam) {metallic blue}

6. Speed Freakz (Nob Bikerz) {red (and green, of course)}

7. Tyranids (stealers) {tba}

8. Tau (crisis+kroot) {red/silver+green}

If I go for pairing, I was planning on:

(1) vs (5)

(2) vs (8)

(3) vs (7)

(4) vs (6)

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Paul.

If you decide to pair them off, I'd take other pairs. Some pairs you selected have the same color (blue metallic necrons on the bases of your blue Ultramarines for example, or red Ork armor on the bases of your purple and red CSM). Personally, I'd go for a contrasting color, or at least a color that's different from the normal main army color as it would probably end up looking as the bases were littered with scrap from that same army instead of from an enemy.

I'd do the following:

(3) vs (6)

(2) vs (4)

(1) vs (8)

(5) vs (7) (since there are no metals on 'nids)

You can also give them a custom color, not related to your other armies. This would allow you to get a nice contrasting color to really make the bitz pop, and you can even use it to try out some colors you aren't too confident with yet.

Also, there's always the option of modelling on scraps of your best mate's army. Nothing motivates your opponent like seeing his dead trampled under the feet of your armies :huh:

Thanks for the colour matching advice.

The only two from my choices I was really favouring were:

(1) vs (5) because I already have an objective marker of a necron crawling out of a hole in the ground, and the ground matches the UM base, and

(3) vs (7) because quite a few of the models in each army come from Space Hulk (and have bits already modelled).

I also like your idea of using cast-offs, in fact I'll probably go with that, since some of the guys I play with have specific army colours (Ork Goffs, Crimson Fists, Blood Ravens and Black Templars). I'll have to see whether I can grab hold of a few Space Wolves and Blood Angels bits (since I see them fairly often at the FLGS).

I see you're in Herzele, Belgium.

Mijn Vlaams is niet zo goed nu, maar ik ben wel met een Vlaamse getrouwd!

I met her whilst working in Zelzate (SIDMAR) and living in Gent in the early 90's.

I miss the stoverij!

Cheers, Paul.

Archived