Good solid brushes

Tomevans

About 10 mins ago, my less than 4 months old GW Fine Detail Brush died. All the bristles simply fell out during a simple cleaning with water. Meanwhile my trusty standard brush, one I bought about 5 years ago, plods on with no trouble what so ever. Have GW recently changed the company that make their brushes? I have noticed a changed casing and appearance but obviously they must have changed the manufacturing process as my brush simply wasn't hardy enough.

Does anyone know if this really is the case? Also, what brushes do all of you recommend, as I do not want to keep having to buy GW brushes if they are simply going to fall apart after no rough treatment and after only a couple of months. Thanks in advance for your help.

I usually use the GW brushes, and I'm satisfied with them so far, but I did pick up some Army Painter ones recently, and I must say I'll be replacing my GW brushes with them as more casualties are taken.

I normally use Winsor Newton Series 7 brushes for my fine detail and highlighting work. For base coats, initial details and basic hightlighting I use: Winsor Newton Artists' Watercolor brushes; specfically the Round sizes 00-3.

After all of this, I realize that they are one the expensive side which is why I buy them from local art stores when they have Buy 2, get 1 Free deals or 40% off coupons that pop up when college students go back in the Fall. Also, I know that a little brush care can make an investment in brushes last for a really long time.

I've not used the Army Builder brushes, but I have a few Reaper sable brushes that work pretty well and are evenly priced with the Army Builder ones (at least locally).

Just my 2 pieces-o'-eight...

-J

About 10 mins ago, my less than 4 months old GW Fine Detail Brush died. All the bristles simply fell out during a simple cleaning with water.

I would take it back to GW and tell them what happened.

If you have not abused the brush, there is a manufacturing fault somewhere along the line.

I believe they will replace it for you. :ph34r:

I normally use Winsor Newton Series 7 brushes for my fine detail and highlighting work. For base coats, initial details and basic hightlighting I use: Winsor Newton Artists' Watercolor brushes; specfically the Round sizes 00-3.

After all of this, I realize that they are one the expensive side which is why I buy them from local art stores when they have Buy 2, get 1 Free deals or 40% off coupons that pop up when college students go back in the Fall. Also, I know that a little brush care can make an investment in brushes last for a really long time.

I hear that WN brushes are the boss. If you want to go up-town, get these.

+++

Don't get imitation brushes (synthetic bristles) ~ mine are now used for spreading glue and rubbing off excess paint. They really are rubbish. :P

Reaper, GW and the other 28mm scale brushes should all be good.

Thanks for all the advice, to tide me over until I decide which ones to get I bought some cheap and cheerful £1.80 brushes from a local Airfix kit/ di cast model shop. They aren't half bad, are keeping their shape nicely and give a neat, even coverage on the model. I will keep using them for another few weeks and if they slowly degrade I will get the AP or WN brushes in, but if not I will stick with these ones, as they are pretty darn decent :P

Archived