Dante and Death Company...

TrentL

On B&C I had read about using Dante's hit and Run when with the DC to help move the DC towards a more "meaty" target to charge.

But a local guy brought up some really good points:

His quote:

"Looking at the rulebook, it says that hit and run happens at the end of the assault phase (which is still the assault phase). Rage is present in all 3 phases, saying you have to move towards the enemy in the movement phase, and if you run in shooting, it has to be towards the enemy, and when consolidating in the assault phase, that is also towards the enemy. If the enemy is already in base contact with you, isn't it kind of impossible to move any closer?

Even if you do have 3d6 inches to move, there is no rule saying you must use all of that. The way the 2 rules are worded, as well as the simple idea of rage, seem to incline towards rage cancelling the effect of hit and run."

I tried searching for the orginal message but I couldn't find it. I'm not sure I'd use the tactic as I'm a bit more inclined to want to use Dante with Honor Guard or Sanguinary Guard with a bunch of Plasma / Melta guns so I can hop out fire my high STR weapons and charge back in.

Yup that's the post, though it derails pretty quickly and not many people agree or disagree on whether Hit and Run which is a in the Assault phase and after the consolidation phase is affected by rage.

Thanks very much! Your search-fu is pretty good where I fail miserably :P

Thanks, I tend to TRY and play RAI ... as it makes more sense, since I read about people who "Circle" the closest target just so they can charge a more choicier target... that doesn't feel like Death Company to me... Though I would have loved to play with the "Chaplain controls them" of the past, I do enjoy the "chaplain allows DC to re-roll hit and wounds"

Thanks, I tend to TRY and play RAI ... as it makes more sense, since I read about people who "Circle" the closest target just so they can charge a more choicier target... that doesn't feel like Death Company to me... Though I would have loved to play with the "Chaplain controls them" of the past, I do enjoy the "chaplain allows DC to re-roll hit and wounds"

Personaly I think the only unfluffy thing you can do with death company like this is actually avoid being in close combat for a turn (which ironicaly is about the only thing you can actually do), they arnt dumb just very eager, avoiding one unit to charge another seems perfectly fine to me so long as they are splitting skulls by the end of the turn.

As for hit and run I'd say it was one of the few ways to make JP death company work, never optimal but does allow you to drop a truly terifying unit anywhere on the batlefield without worrying about scatter thanks to dante's ability, soak a few invul wounds (esp if you throw in lemartes and or a jump chappy with their 4+'s too) and then do the hit and run dance untill they run out of steam. If you can throw down a few squads to support and maybe even some vanguard to tie up anything that you dont want charging death co. that turn you can potentially "chaperone" the "death(co.) star" into wrecking its way through most of the enemys army. Certainly not having to worry about scatter can go along way to counter enemy "kite" units under many circumstances, and 2 or 3 supporting squads can make it almost impossible if you are smart about where you put them.

Archived