assault marines for the virgin

hey all,i bet the title got your attention. i'm new to warhammer.i fancy an assault marines themed army. gonna start with a 1000pt army and add to that.

so, what assault marine armies are working well for you? do they work? any advice on build. i would hate , as i'm sure you all do, to waste money on models just to leave them sitting on my shelf.

thanks.

well let me be the first to say welcome to the bolter and chainsword!!!

in terms of an army for a beginner i have a good list for ya

HQ

commander dante (i never play a game without him)

elites

sanguinary guard with death masks, infernus pistol, banner

troops

assault squad of 10, flamer, melta-gun, sarge with power fist

it kills alot, hope this has been helpful

EDIT: although i heavily suggest buying A LOT of death company and every special character in the codex. don't listen to what every one says death company are awesome. i've had mine survive my opponents entire army firing at them and kill about half of them. also get a sanguinary priest, they just make units a whole lot better.

HQ

elites

troops

I´m not sure if this list is that perfect for a beginner - he must be able to watch out for pie plates as the Sanguinary Guard will suffer most from them, and if they´re gone, the whole army is quite useless. Instead of Dante and the Sanguinary Guard at this pointlimit, I´d suggest a Sanguinary Priest w/Jp, a Reclusiarch, Captain or Librarian as HQ and something else, maybe a small squad of DC or Vanguard. Or another squad of RAS.

The Sanguinary Guard are very expensive and need some practice to work effectively, maybe that´s not the best thing for a total newbie. :P

Oh, and mixing the special weapons in the RAS doesn´t sound like a good idea. All melta/flamer or nothing, if you ask me. If you´re in front of a tank, you rely on one(!) melta-shot instead of two, and before assaulting a horde unit, your assault squads lacks that one flame-template that is able to make the difference between a mediocre and a devastating assault.

Just my thoughts,

Snorri

HQ

elites

troops

I´m not sure if this list is that perfect for a beginner - he must be able to watch out for pie plates as the Sanguinary Guard will suffer most from them, and if they´re gone, the whole army is quite useless. Instead of Dante and the Sanguinary Guard at this pointlimit, I´d suggest a Sanguinary Priest w/Jp, a Reclusiarch, Captain or Librarian as HQ and something else, maybe a small squad of DC or Vanguard. Or another squad of RAS.

The Sanguinary Guard are very expensive and need some practice to work effectively, maybe that´s not the best thing for a total newbie. ;)

Oh, and mixing the special weapons in the RAS doesn´t sound like a good idea. All melta/flamer or nothing, if you ask me. If you´re in front of a tank, you rely on one(!) melta-shot instead of two, and before assaulting a horde unit, your assault squads lacks that one flame-template that is able to make the difference between a mediocre and a devastating assault.

Just my thoughts,

Snorri

to each his own

it depends on what codexes your playing from. like Shan Vener's idea will surly work. you can composite a list by any model that has any assualt orientated stance in any army codex. ie like veterans, terminators, sang guards etc. by choicing them only you also play a specialize army then, and run risk to being overwelmed or ordinanced to death. i alway's try a balance way to fight with every thing being able to flex at my wim, not my enemies.

Like all battle masters the choice is your's.

HQ

elites

troops

EDIT: although i heavily suggest buying A LOT of death company and every special character in the codex. don't listen to what every one says death company are awesome. i've had mine survive my opponents entire army firing at them and kill about half of them. also get a sanguinary priest, they just make units a whole lot better.

While I truely like Dante, I think he is a kind of over points in a 1000 point army, get it to 1500 and you should be sweet (oh and the Sang Guard would be a Troops choice when you do take him)

I think you should always have at least one Priest, the FnP is too awesome for you not to have them running around.

I am also not a fan of the mixing of special weapons, while it adds to the versatility of a unit it blurs the purpose of them. I would rather has a squad with 2x meltas jump in and pop a tank and then have the 2x flamer squad either target the troops that exit the wreck or a different unit entirely.

I have become a huge fan of Death Company and a Chaplain now, a couple of Power weapons and a Fist. Pure gold

I run mainly an Assault Marine list and one that i would think of using is:

Librarian w/ Jump Pack w/ Rage and Shield or Lance/Sword: 125

Assault Squad (10) w/ Fist, 2 Melta's: 235

Assault Squad (10) w/ Fist, 2 Melta's: 235

Assault Squad (10) w/ Fist, 2 Flamers: 225

Sanguinary Priests (2), w/ Jump Packs (2), Power Weapons (2): 180

With this list you have your anti-tank well and truly sorted. In 1000pts I dont think you would be facing armour higher than 13 a lot or heavily armoured infantry. Flamers can wipe out whole squads of Orks/ Nids while your furious charging & FnP go in for the kill.

HQ

elites

troops

While I truely like Dante, I think he is a kind of over points in a 1000 point army, get it to 1500 and you should be sweet (oh and the Sang Guard would be a Troops choice when you do take him)

I think you should always have at least one Priest, the FnP is too awesome for you not to have them running around.

I am also not a fan of the mixing of special weapons, while it adds to the versatility of a unit it blurs the purpose of them. I would rather has a squad with 2x meltas jump in and pop a tank and then have the 2x flamer squad either target the troops that exit the wreck or a different unit entirely.

I have become a huge fan of Death Company and a Chaplain now, a couple of Power weapons and a Fist. Pure gold

okay let me explain myself. with the sanguinary guard i know they'd be troops, i didn't want to confuse someone new. and i thought he was a beginner so i thought flamer and melta. okay.

HQ

elites

troops

The Sanguinary Guard are very expensive and need some practice to work effectively, maybe that´s not the best thing for a total newbie. ;)

Just my thoughts,

Snorri

I 100% agree with snori.

dont mix special weapons in assault squads, all the same all the time.

if it has flamers give the sargeant a power weapon not fist.

Dont use dante use a librarian with rage and sword or shield

use chaplains sang priests with pump packs

use honor guard

never ever use Death company especially with jump packs.

To each his own indeed, but what I'm telling you is just pure tournament fact and will give you the best results. ANy time someone says sang guard replace them with honor guard.

Hope that helps, I realize I mainly just re-stated snorri's comments however thats because I believe they are very true and will stop you from wasting money on minis bro.

Cheers

Crynn

didn't i just explain myself. i don't even use this list. and i don't know what he would be fighting.

Your welcome to your opinion (/giving advice)

Its just wrong :Troops: (jokes)

I like the list apart from the mixed specials.

Sanguinary Guard are generally best used in multiples, and will require quite some skill to start with.

That being said they are a pretty cool unit, and definately teach alot to new players.

With Dante you get a unit which won't scatter which is great for a melta assault squad since with Dante's Infernus Pistol your getting 3 melta shots.

You could certainly trade him for something cheaper and save 100 points for something else however. If I went this route I'd add a Spriest for a FNP/FC bubble.

It also leads into a very jump pack based army with these choices, but as someone else said if you want a more Assault squad based army then you'll want Vanguard Vets, as opposed to Sang Guard, if you go Sang Guard + Dante list you'll be wanting a few squads of them to make it work, and probably a Assault Squad for bodies, meltas and screening.

thanks very much for the quick replies. very helpful.

i see brother-captain is from cork in ireland. i live about 30 mins away. any chance of a game or 2.

thanks very much for the quick replies. very helpful.

i see brother-captain is from cork in ireland. i live about 30 mins away. any chance of a game or 2.

If you're a new player it's probably worth going over a few things about Jump Infantry in our army. You probably already know most of this but it's worth going over again.

 When you arrive from Deep Strike you will be very tightly clustered together. This makes you vulnerable to Blast/Template weapons

 You cannot move after you Deep Strike but you can Run if you don’t shoot. You can use this Run move to spread out to avoid blasts or to head for cover

 Any unit can shoot when it arrives (other than Vanguard Veterans if they use Heroic Intervention) but if you shoot you will still be clumped up from Deep Strike so make sure that you can’t be targeted by anything nasty

 All our models with Jump Packs benefit from Descent of Angels - it's not necessarily listed on the profile but they all get it as long as they have Jump Packs

 A unit joined by Dante does not scatter when Deep Striking. This is most often used to drop a powerful shooting unit (often meltas) within close range of a juicy target which they can hopefully destroy in the Shooting phase

 Only Vanguard Veterans can assault after Deep Striking (using their Heroic Intervention rule) and they cannot do so if joined by an Independent Character

I hope this helps a bit.

I 100% agree with snori.

dont mix special weapons in assault squads, all the same all the time.

if it has flamers give the sargeant a power weapon not fist.

Dont use dante use a librarian with rage and sword or shield

use chaplains sang priests with pump packs

use honor guard

never ever use Death company especially with jump packs.

To each his own indeed, but what I'm telling you is just pure tournament fact and will give you the best results. ANy time someone says sang guard replace them with honor guard.

Hope that helps, I realize I mainly just re-stated snorri's comments however thats because I believe they are very true and will stop you from wasting money on minis bro.

Cheers

Crynn

Yeah, about that...I think that you misinterpretated some of my statements - although its nice if someone agrees to your ideas.

- Dante can be used, and he is quite effective as well, but might be over the top at this point-level.

- Deathcompany are always a favourite choice of mine, especially with JP. Of course this might not be an option for a tournament-player which is alright with me, but when talking to a new fellow among the BA community, I think that tournaments are not for him right now. Considering this, I think that DC are a nice "point-click-laugh" weapon for beginners, but their pointcosts are not easily justified.

- The Sanguinary Guard is great. Better than HG, better than Vanguard, better than Sternguard, just better. It comes down to your opponent. Against horde armies, they will not do much damage, they are designed to chop through something squishy like all kinds of Marine Equivalents(Terminators included), low-toughness units with a 4+ save or better(no or bad invul), mega-armoured nobs and other stuff. They can be equipped with Infernuspistols for tankhunting or even plasmapistols against elite units they want to weaken before they engage.

Again, it comes down to your opponent. In a tournament environment with lots of Powerarmour, these guys can easily make their points back. Just not at this pointlevel of 1000.

Not trying to insult you, Crynn, but as I said, there is a little misunderstanding here. ;)

Snorri

At a low point game I think I'd want enough FnP to go around... I've notice BA doesn't do terribly well at low point games... Anyway I digress.

Libby w/Shield + Rage(or Lance) (Shield is your 5+ cover save for the turn you Deep strike... it can get ugly)

Assault Squad

Sgt w/ Fist

Melta, Melta

Assault Squad

Sgt w Fist

Flamer, Flamer

Vanguard Veterans (5)

- Pf / Power Weapon

Sanguinary Priest (2)

-Jump Pack

I think the above leaves you 75 points to trick out squads more, or add more body's to Vanguard Vets.

I personally don't like Sanguinary Priests with Power Swords... 1 wound IC's that give Furious Charge and Feel no pain are constantly attacked by models they are in base to base with, and I tend to lose them, hence when charging the opponent I always move my priest last, when reacting I have no choice sadly.

The only thingI didn't like about the Dante, SG, ASM x2 build was putting Death Masks on Sanguinary Guard when they are joined by Dante (Who has a death mask which is better) I'd save those points.

Archived