Sanguinary Guard

Corbulo

Hey guys,

I'm building a list that revolves around sanguinary guard and Dante in the 1,500 pts category and the more I look at it, the more I think it's more of a fun list than anything else. I'd like to keep it competitive if possible.

My madness starts at the combination of Dante's no deviate for deep strike and the sanguinary guard's options to take melta pistols. Sure once they come down out of the sky they sure as heck are going to turn any tank they go after into slag but for over 450 pts and change for this combo to kill (say a land raider) for over 200 pts just doesn't make sense. (I'm being vague on the actual pts costs, hope that's ok. I know I can't post actual pts costs).

I put together my 1st sanguinary guard last night and the model is absolutely gorgeous (dude with a fist) but now that I look over my list (one of many) I don't think that I should go infernus pistols after all. How do you guys arm your SG? And what's the best way to utilize them?

I know that there are much more efficient ways to kill armour eg Blood Lance, Melta guns, etc but I'd like to give the SG a shot.

Corb

I have seen one such sanguinary guard army played in person, and if done right they can be competitive.

Just remember this is the blood angel equipment to the featuring, so you will almost always be outnumbered. Also remember to use cover to your advantage since the SG don't have an invulnerable save.

Hey I hear ya, there was a tournament in my city a couple weeks back and one guy took BA. I wasn't able to attend but I saw the results and he came second last. I was like "what the heck?" then I saw a pic of his army... all SG.

In my list I've also got 2 assault squads (no JP) one in a Redeemer (flamers to help vs orks & nids) which I'll B-line to the area I plan on dumping Dante and boys to give them some support.

I just don't know if the list can be competitive with so many points dumped into that one "cannon ball". Cause I know once they have preformed their trick all guns are going to be trained on them. I've added a priest to help but I still don't think they will survive the opponent's next turn...

Had'em for months now and going to use them for the first time tomorrow in 3000pt planetstrike so it's not the only squad and not really a points hog. I was going to go with 5vv in JP and PW but i decided to give them a try for once since there will be plenty of back up. I think your problem will be b-lining them. I'm going to use them as a flanking squad to get at troops in a scoring position not as a main line attack. You could probably get away with it in a battle with chaos or another SM army but against hordes you just need more feet on the ground.

Archived